Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idonotknow Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Can a water softener cause low water pressure?
    16 year old softnener. Water pressue drops from 40 psi to 22 psi when the downstairs toilet is flushed. Could this be caused by the water softener?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 01:31 PM

It can be but other fixtures should also cause the same drop like flushing another toilet or turning on your tub spout. Does anything other than the downstairs toilet cause the drop. If no then I suspect we have a different issue. Can you tell us more details?

Good move using the bypass, you took away my next suggestion all on your own. Does sound like the softner is the problem. At 16 years its probably pretty "used up". Many can be rebuilt with new resin and even new valves but it may be time to get some estimates on a new softner. Old ones are still old after they are rebuilt. PS don't use the comment box, just type your answer where it says ANSWER THIS QUESYTION. They made changes to this site and nobody really know how to use the comment box yet

Sep 20, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    The washing machine causes the whole house to lose pressure while it is filling. Using the shower is OK unless one of the aforementioned fixtures is being used. I am currently bypassing the water softener, and am not getting any pressure drop.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2010, 04:44 PM

How old is your house? What material are the pipes? Copper or galvanized? Back to you, Tom

Sep 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    16 years old with copper pipes
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

Feb 21, 2011, 06:51 PM
    There typically will be about a 10psi pressure drop through a residential water softener. If there is an in-line filter before or after the system this will contribute to the pressure loss also. There can also be a restriction in the outlet manifold that draws conditioned water from the bottom of the softener tank. It can become plugged with iron and sediment. Also if your system has an upper basket this can become plugged and restrict the flow. If resin has become iron bound this can also contribute to pressure loss through system. I suggest you have a reliable water treatment service tech examine equipment to determine if one of these problems may be the cause. Many times the manifold, upper basket can be cleaned or replaced to resolve these issues.
    RJ
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 07:38 PM

Hi rjh2o...

Great info. and I'm sure someone will come along soon enough and find it to be very helpful, but just so you know, you are posting to a thread from back in 2010... ;)

Hopefully, idonotknow is all set by now!

Look at the dates before posting if you really want a reply from the original poster. Otherwise, feel free to drop tidbits you think will be helpful to others down the road... never hurts when info. Is correct and helpful!

Thanks...

Mark

Feb 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
    We had a water softener guy out to check it out. After 16 years the softener was used up and needed to be rebuilt or replaced. We also recently replaced our hot water heater with a new high efficiency unit. It turned out that hot water was going back up on the cold water side and into to the water softener. This caused damage to the softener. We installed an expansion tank, a check valve, and had the water softener rebuilt. Everything has been working fine since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure from my water softener [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently.. within the past few weeks noticed that my water pressure at all outlets has been reduced significantly. When I switch the bypass valve on the water softener I have great pressure everywhere. What is causing the lower water flow? My softener is about 6 years old.

Low water pressure new well pump is it the Water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, again I called a well service Co. and they replaced my well pump. It was barely functioning. Strangly the pervious install was a 220 volt pump and it was connected to 110, and it worked. That pump was about 20 years old. The new pump is a 110 volt pump. My problem now is occasional...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

View more questions Search