Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendela van den broek Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
    No period after iud removal
    Hi,
    I'm new to the site. Last year my boyfriend and I decided to try to conceive this year. I had my IUD removed on 23 January (my last period was 25 December) and I still haven't had my period. We had unprotected sex two days after the removal and again a week later, and still no sign of my period. I haven't been very regular in the past, except for when I was on birth control. I am now experience slight but regular cramping and am extremely bloated. Is it normal to skip a period after IUD removal or could I be pregnant?
    I could really use some help!
    Thanks!
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Did you have the hormone release kind, or the copper kind?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 02:54 PM
    This is a pretty good site I found about the IUD. It says that your period can be delayed or missed after the removal of the IUD(mainly the hormonal release IUD) also if it is removed near the time of your ovulation, you can become pregnant from previous sexual encournters, prior to the removal. I would definitely get a pregnancy test done(blood tests are not much more expensive then hpts, and are generally more accurate. Can also be taken much sooner then hpts.)just to be sure.
    IUD = IntraUterine Device at www.Birth-Control-Comparison.info from Cedar River Clinics
    Hope this helped

Jan 31, 2007, 01:22 AM
    It was the hormone kind. I suppose it all makes sense, but I suppose the symptoms are wishful thinking. Either way, will go get the pt and hope for the best. Thanks so much for the advice!
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Don't lose hope, you could very well be preggy. Just don't let your hopes crush you if you aren't. I hope you get good news. Be sure to let us know what you find out! Got my fingers crossed for you. And if you aren't preggy this time, you get to have lotsa fun trying for the next times ;0)

Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Thanks for the support. I just did an hpt (against my better judgement, considering they aren't all that reliable and I didn't wait till morning to do it) and it was negative. I was only mildly disappointed, probably because I can't imagine I'm pregnant yet. I think I'll leave my hopes out of the equation until I've had my period again and can start really trying.
    I'm so new to this process and wondered if it's even possible to conceive after ovulation - I can't imagine it would be, but have you ever heard of it happening?
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Yeah, after ovulation happens, its pretty much a no go. (unless you have two uteruses like my aunt did who got preggy while on her period. Hahaha. Like I say, RARE) and for the most part hpts are pretty accurate, so long as they are done correctly and at the right times. Its just that sometimes some women don't have enough hormone in their systems yet to show up. But it doesn't happen too incredibly often. Good luck trying next time. Remember it takes up to a year for most healthy couples to conceive. So just have fun with it, and use it as an opportunity to grow closer to your man.

Jan 31, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Thanks a lot, I certainly will enjoy the time ahead!
    niletigger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi All! I am going through the same thing. Had the PG for 7 years, had it removed on 12/18, today is 1/14 and still no sign of my period. Took pregnancy test on 1/11 and the result was negative. Going to retake on 1/16 if still nothing (will post back for all of you). Now I understand that the Marin may cause a delay due to the hormones. PG says that it won't get in the way of your normal cycle. I am creating a group on Facebook regarding this (I think we may be a minority of girls having this issues) and actually want a little more information to help other women in the same boat as us. I could only find forums like this and all medical staff and manufactures that I have talked to say that I'm possible pregnant and if not that I should get a shot of progesterone, which I'm not totally comfortable with since I am trying to get pregnant, but my husband and I wanted to give my body a break from everything for a month or two first.
    niletigger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 01:26 PM

Wanted to update. I started my cycle 10 days late.
    yasmin20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Hi
    Wondered if anyone can help, I had my copper coil removed on the first day of my period 28th June 2010 and I am now a week late for my period, done 7ish test all negative but got all the symptoms like feeling hot and cold little cramp in stomach, bloated at times tired etc me and my husband do want another baby but not sure if I am pregnant or its cause I have had the coil removed if so when will I get a possivite result or my period I have 3 children already and this has never happened before
    Any advise would be good thank u
    Xohaleyxo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
    Hey, I'm considering getting an iud instead of a pill everyday
    I have a question, do u still have a period while u have it?
    brendasandoval Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
    I had the iud for five yearsand had it taking out for 15teen months and after I had regualr periods and then it was every two months then I haven't had one for almost four months.
    MissGreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
    Hi Guys. I'm in the same boat also. Had my copper IUD removed on the 16th May, period was due on the 25th May and I still haven't had a period (today being the 12th June). Feeling very bloated but all peg tests I've taken have been negative. Weird.
    mommyxs4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Hi there, so far this entire forum has been very helpful! I just removed my PG IUD on 12/6/12. But still haven't got my period! My issue though is that I was expecting my period on the 4th! So I was late before it was even removed.. Now, I'm wondering... Had my body already decided that I was going to be late prior to the removal, and then the removal stalled it even more? I'm Super confused!
    LovelyLina1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
    Same problem, my period is 16 days late. I have been feeling very "pregnant" and took a pregnancy test and it was negative, I only had Mirena for a month when I wanted it out because of all the negative side effects . I have been having a lot of cramps as if I where on my period but nothing. I don't know what is happening to my body know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant after IUD removal [ 14 Answers ]

I used a copper IUD for five years after my second son. I had my IUD removed about 2/3 months ago. Had unprotected sex, just using the withdrawal method with no ejaculations. Since the removal of my IUD I became a bit late with my period, late 2-5 days. Now I'm 15 days late with no pregnancy...

IUD and brown spotting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I am 27 yr. Had an IUD placed over a year ago. Have PCOS. Periods have been rock steady until 2-3 mo ago. I have used pregnancy test, negative. I am having brown spotting constantly now for past 1-2 months, Not one day goes by that I do not have spotting, with cramping just...

I have an IUD in could I have had implantation bleeding? [ 1 Answers ]

I'll first start with my story I'm a 23 year old mother to a 6 year old and a 1 year old so having another baby isent something we planned. I have an IUD in place and for a couple of weeks it has seemed like the string is getting longer so I don't know if its coming out or not. I had my normal...

IUD Inserted and pregnant.. What are the risks [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had a IUD inserted and later found out that I was 5 weeks pregnant, they removed it 3 days after it was put in. I am now 9 weeks and have some concerns about late term miscarage and birth defects. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what was the out come? My dr. told me that...

Hair removal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi am 18 years old and am really having a seroius proplem concerns hair removal.First am having dark thick hair grown on the lower parts of my legs only,after the hair removal session the hair starts to regrow within few days about 5 days,and am so annoyed because it grows too fast.Sometimes most...

View more questions Search