Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eira Posts: 28, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 13, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Hair loss due to hair dye
    I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or will I be bald for life, I am so worried. I wear hats now because the front looks like a man who is losing his hair, please help.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 14, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Most hair dyes are not as irritating as permanent solutions, mostly because they do not break the bonds between hair fibers and are therefore not likely to cause a hair loss. However, a severe allergic reaction to hair dye could cause hair loss. Permanent solutions can also cause allergic reactions, though that's a rare side effect. Please consult a physician or dermatologist about your hair loss. A doctor will examine your scalp to determine what's causing your symptom, and prescribe a treatment for it.
    soki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eira
    i feel sooo terible, i used dye called (biegen, i think) it is very cheap, i did not like the color so i used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front i can see my scalp now, what should i do would my hair grow back or will i be bald for life, i am so worried. i wear hats now because the front looks like a man who is loosing his hair, please help.
    I'm not sure if this will totally help but I have the same thing with me I lost hair due to hair almost 2 years ago but its still not back and I'm worried and its mildly lowered myself of esteam, but a barber told me the same thing had happened to her, and one thing that will help a little is to massage the area's of your head where the hair has fallen out, to help blood flow to those places, and that should help stimulate the hair folical, hope that can help a little, best of luck to you with growing hair back
    stefshahly Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Rogain. Or natural pills that help w/ hair -n- nails. Otherwise... go with prettylady!
    geronimo795 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 09:00 AM
    In my family, when we are stressed we do crazy things to our hair. When I was 18, I once dyed my hair, permed it, stripped out the perm, and dyed it again all within a few weeks of each other. My hair started falling out pretty good too. Here are my two suggestions for living with it after the fact. If your hair is that fried, you're going to have to wait for new healthy hair. Although I would definitely try those deep conditioning treatments which aren't expensive at walmart to make your dried out hair look a little better. But really you'll have to cut it short and slowly cut out the bad (new hair came back in the places I lost hair) or keep it in a pony tail so no one notices and then eventually cut it. This also depends on where the patches of hair are, can you part them so they aren't noticeable? When healthier roots were forming mine stopped falling out for the most part, just a little breakage here and there after that, so depending on how long it's been, you could wait a little while (few weeks). I hear pregnant women's hair have patches fall out, and pregnant women can't use any harsh chemicals, so maybe they have a remedy that might help? Well good luck. Prettylady seems to know her stuff, so you can't go wrong listening to her.
    jassha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:04 PM

Did you feel any scalp burning sensations afterward? Did hair thin all over?
    alivi5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 06:20 AM
    The hair dye industry never tells you about the consequences of regularly dying your hair. Not only are the chemicals (peroxide and ammonia) potentially harmful but the addition of the fixer PPD is the prime culprit for hair loss after using hair dye. You see many women on the tube with thinning dyed hair. This is no coincidence.

I became sensitive to the chemicals in the dye (burning, itching scalp) so I decided to go with a water based dye. I have greying dark hair, the darker the colour, the more PPD is needed to fix it. Because water based dyes need longer to fix, it made my hair loss WORSE! After using the dye, my hair would start shedding approx two days afterwards for between 3-6 months. I mean hand fulls of my hair would come out, especially in the shower/bath. The thinning was becoming very noticeable as I had not made the connection between hair loss and hair dye. I stopped dying my hair for a year and went as grey as Old Mother Hubbard!! All my hair came back though, yours will too.

I then found a chemical product that works in 10 minutes. I thought, only 10 minutes of chemical exposure. Hey presto! Lovely thick hair, no grey.

I'm sorry to hear that your hair is shedding badly. Stop dying it and it will return, believe me. In the future, weigh up your options as to what colour and product you use.

Anna220 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 06:24 AM
    I'm having the same problem at the moment. My hair was very thick and amazing, I would die it black, however soon enough I wanted to return to my normal color (which is brownish) so my friend told me to bleach it in order to get all the dye out of it. So I did and it went orange, I began to panic and dyed it brown, but that didn't help so I dyed it black all in the same day. Since than, my hair has thinned out and I'm really disappointed because it took me so long to grow it. OK so now to the point lol,applying and massaging coconut oil on your hair and sculpt and leaving it for a day will help. Iron tablets (iron is what is found in meat), or eating meat or both (meat contains protein - which is what hair is made of), just overall eating healthy organic food will help. Try to minimize as much crappy food as you can as it contains chemicals and isn't good for you anyway, not just for your hair. It will also make your skin great! And remember not to dye your hair until it returns to its normal state. Once your ready to dye your hair again, don't bye the supermarket hair dye, go to an organic shop and purchase natural products without all the chemicals - they may be more expensive sometimes but being healthy is priceless! Anyway hope it helps! But keep in mind that its going to take some time, hair grows very slowly.
    caslaughter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
    If you truly are tired of losing hair due to hair dyes and chemical, you need to find a style that compliments your natural hair textures. Then find a natural or organic shampoo and use herbs like rosemarymary and even apple cider vinegar as rinses and color. Follow up with daily care by using natural oils like argan and sesame seed. It takes time and lots of patience, but it will result in shoulder length hair between 3 to 5 years. Take care
    jchf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eira View Post
    I feel so terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or will I be bald for life, I am so worried. I wear hats now because the front looks like a man who is loosing his hair, please help.
    Wow! I didn't think Bigen would have such an effect. I have heard it's a pretty safe product. Nonetheless I am using ZX42 from www.hairfuelonline.com. Its been working well for me. I have tried Rogaine without success before
    Geminigenie23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
    I have the same problem from hair dye. My hair is still thinning and I have a huge bald spot on top of my head. I tried getting a weave and wig but they were so itchy and made my hair fall out more. I ordered mira oil, but it was very expensive and takes a month to arrive, but if it works, its worth it. I'm using temple balm and amla oil now and hardly wash my hair. I see new hair sprouting up but growing very slowly. Luckily I live in nyc and found a place in queens that specializes in women's hair loss. They made me a natural looking hair prosthethis for $800. That's expensive but it was worth it. It made me feel normal again.
    shauroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
    What product did you find? I'm ready to go gray vs losing my hair, but I don't want to. I'm only 43!

Mar 2, 2013, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shauroy View Post
    What product did you find? I'm ready to go gray vs losing my hair, but I don't want to. I'm only 43!
    I went to a hair loss salon and they made a custom piece. But I found websites that make custom full lace wigs for around $200. They look pretty natural. I also buy wigs online for every day use.
    Manda445 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 04:10 PM
    I have the same problem, but I've been using this Pantene shampoo that restores and restrengths your hair. It's been pretty good, other wise call a doctor to help you.

May 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
    I will try the pantene. I bought nisim, but I can't tell if it's working yet. I also bought some items from sally's that are good. My dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate to keep my scalp free from irritants. He told me to put it on at night, cover with a plastic shower cap, and sleep with that. I have new hair all over now but the back is taking forever to grow in. The top is about 2" long. I got used to my full lace wig. I wear a swim cap when swimming. Its annoying but we all must adapt and overcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Loss (for fun) [ 6 Answers ]

I seem to be getting somewhat less hair all the time, Since as an American nothing can be my fault, I must there fore blame someone. I have been trying to decide, anyone have an opinion of who I should blame. 1. Oil companies because of the price of gas 2. President Bush ( just because I...

Hair Loss [ 3 Answers ]

I am suffering from hair falling since 6 years. Now my hair have become very thin and my hair line is receding. I am getting bald. Earlier hair fall is negligible but now its unmanageable to tie in a pony. Scalp becomes more visible when ever I comb my hair. Please suggest me something...

Hair loss [ 1 Answers ]

My daschund is 1yr old and has had some hair loss . My husband bought her for me last Easter. She had some hair loss on her head the vet said it was nothing to worry about but it is getting worse. Could it be her nerves?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cat hair loss [ 3 Answers ]

One of my cats is always licking her stomach and she has lost a lot of fur near her tail. The vet says this is caused by stress, but she doesn't seem very nervous. How can I stop her from licking herself excessively?

Cats hair loss [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have just got back off holiday to find that one of my cats... a long haired female has a small patch on her back where it looks as though the fur has been cut with scizzors and the skin underneath feels scabby. Has she got mites? If so can humans catch them as I have 2 kids. I also have 3...

View more questions Search