Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cboy17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Car accident: no police report, what can I do?
    If I did not file a police report, can I sue them or get anything out of them for the damage even if it is minor?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
    A police report is not required to either turn it over to their insurance or to sue them in court.

A police report will help, as would other witnesses. But you have the legal right to sue for your damages
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    A police report is not required to either turn it over to thier insurance or to sue them in court.

A police report will help, as would other witnesses. But you have the legal right to sue for your damages

Absolutely correct - IF you have damages and IF you can prove them and IF it's not your fault. Witnesses always help and, in fact, Police are actually after the fact witnesses. Police Reports are not "binding" and, in fact, often add more confusion to the matter.

So turn the accident over to the insurance company and let it fight it out. Or go directly to Small Claims Court.
    Tbaby2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Ok so I have a question now, although a police report doen't matter, wouldn't it be their word against yours as to who's fault it is without any witnesses either?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbaby2011 View Post
    Ok so I have a question now, although a police report doen't matter, wouldn't it be their word against yours as to who's fault it is without any witnesses either?
    Certainly. If you and the other driver are the only witnesses, it would be your word against theirs in any event. Police reports, if made, often are made by officers who didn't see the accident. In that case, they could only record what the actual witnesses have said about the accident.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 09:12 AM

Agree with AKL - Police for the most part are after the fact witnesses BUT their accident reconstruction experts ARE expert witnesses if it comes down to that and their photographs are ALMOST ALWAYS taken immediately after the accident; therefore, they are more valuable than photographs of the accident scene taken at a later time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I call in a police report for car hit in work parking lot months later? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My car was hit in work parking lot. Person who hit my car left a note. I called him and one of the guys from work took car to fix it. Guy fixing car was also working on engine. When I got the car back the dent in front fender had been pulled out, but, looked like crap. So now it is like 6...

Car Accident No Police Report [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting...

Can I get police report [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I was arrested a while back for lighting a firecracker and for having guns because I had a felony 32 years ago. I was appointed a public defender by the court. I asked my public defender if I could have a copy of my police report. She said "sometimes we give clients a copy of there police...

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

View more questions Search