Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzi66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 02:09 PM
    My dog cries and thinks her toy is her a baby, but can't get it to suckle
    My dog tries to get her toy puppy to suckle and cries when its not happening. She has never had a puppy, so I'm worried about this behaviour and constant crying. Please advise what to do. Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 02:12 PM

Has she been spayed?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 06:29 PM
    You dog is being very maternal.

Take the toy away. She will search for it and she will be miserable, but obsessive behavior is not acceptable.

If she isn't spayed, get her spayed. This is the starts of a false pregnancy. False pregnancy can lead to really nasty diseases within the uterus.

If she is spayed, take the toy away and occupy her with something else, such as a training class or maybe up her exercise.
    tsan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
    My dog is having the same issues with a small rubber dog.. but my dog has never mated with another dog.. she is almost 2 yrs old..
    How does this lead to diseases?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tsan1 View Post
    My dog is having the same issues with a small rubber dog.. but my dog has never mated with another dog.. she is almost 2 yrs old..
    How does this lead to diseases?
    If she isn't spayed, she can get various kinds of cancer and other horrible diseases.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
    The behavior itself will not lead to disease. However, not having a female dog spayed leaves them open to serious uterine infections and reproductive cancers. Having the reproductive organs surgically removed makes for a healthier, happier pet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New dog cries all night [ 4 Answers ]

We have a rescued 1 year old poodle that sleeps in a crate next to our bed, as we are trying to housebreak him. He will not stop crying. It has been two days. How do we get our dog to sleep, so that we too can get some sleep?

My dog cries when I walk him [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 14 week old cocker spaniel who doesn't like going for a walk! She just cries constantly when we're out, whether she's on the park off the lead or just walking round the streets. When you are out all she wants to do is go home and is pulling all the time. I've owned a cocker...

I'm having a baby and my dog already thinks she's my baby! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a questions. I have two dogs. An 8 month old St. Bernard female named Moose and a 1 & 1/2 yeard old Samyoed male name Buckie. I just recently found out I was pregnant and have started to get really worried. Buckie is VERY attached to Moose but...

Baby cries when you don't hold him [ 1 Answers ]

Young couple on the block have a newborn 3 months old. Young parents Hold the baby most of the time. Infant checked out by doctor, feeding OK and diaper changing adequate. Baby starts crying in a tantrum when you put him down. Foams at the Mouth. Soon as you pick him up he stops crying. ...

Chihuahua cries from the sound of her toy [ 5 Answers ]

I have just bought a small toy for my doggie. It squeeks when you press it. Or when my dog bites it. When I started squezzing it, she whines... like she sad Or she goes like: arrghhoOoOooOoooOoOOoOooo like wholves. She about 2 years old. I have no idea why she does it it think Either it...

View more questions Search