Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TIFF2411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
    How to deal with a self centered boyfriend.
    My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year, He is a nice guy, I love him so much... but.. He is selfish and self centered.Eample: WHEN IT COMES TO HIM EATING OR GETTING HIMSELF SOMETHING HE NEEDS HE GETS IT RIGHT AWAY. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO ME,HE Doesn't GIVE TWO HOOTS IF I EAT OR NOT.. OR IF I HAVE WHAT I NEED. WILL THIS EVER CHANGE?
    love_1235 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2011, 07:41 PM
    I have the same problam with my boyfriend.
    He asks you to help him, you NEED to help right then!
    You ask to help, and its wait a minute.

My best awnser to this is sit down and try and talk about it with him,
    Tell him that you feel like he cares more about himself then you, your relationship.

It will never change if you don't say anything.
    Speak up, that's not right for him to get himself food before you.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 11:44 AM

How old are you guys?

Communication is key.
    brigde Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
    Why do you need him to get you something to eat, do you get him something to eat all the time , and are you not old anough to feed yourself, grow up,
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 11:30 PM

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to I wish again.
    I tried...

The best thing you can do in a relationship is communicate. And do it a lot.
    When you know how your partner feels, instead of speculating, you can work on reality . Not fiction,
    It is more effective
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 02:21 PM

Lord knows I'm no expert in this field - but when my now husband would do the same thing - (not always with food, but in daily situations where he viewed his needs and wants more important and necessary than mine) I would point it out, not meanly, but like 'sweety, this is what I'm talking about, I needed help with(whatever) last night, and you said you could help me after your show was over - well I'm right in the middle of (whatever), but I can help you when I'm done... '

I cannot tell you how many, many times I said that exact sentence - and it actually helped him see how much he expected me to do for him "now, now, now". We've been together for nearly 10yrs, and every now and then he does that to me, but I have turned the above sentence into a 'look', and if he really needs me to help him he'll wait, or help me finish what I'm doing to get to his request - or - if he doesn't want to wait... drumroll please... - he does it himself! ;)
    jessielou58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
    I have to agree "grow up" - you're complaining about that? If that's all you have to complain about then you're OK
    indya Posts: 357, Reputation: 58

Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
    Two ways to deal with this.

Talk to him about it, nicely, sweetly, not like you are accusing him. Tell him how you feel about his 'me first' attitude, and how detrimental it is to your relationship.

Another thing you can and must do is, give your needs equal importance, it shouldn't be that you give him and his needs so much importance that your own need take a back seat.

If you do not give your own wants and needs importance, he won't either. Be assertive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I deal with my crazy ex-boyfriend? [ 9 Answers ]

We only dated about 8 weeks, but were pretty serious. Things and feelings changed on my part and as that 8 weeks went on he would try to control me, tell me he didn't want me going to school in fear I may meet someone better, or get a better job or do anything really for fear I may find bigger and...

How to deal with the loss of a boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

I lost my boyfriend on October 31st 2009 . He was killed and a part of me felt like it died with him . I loved him so much and cry almost everyday . I've talked to friends and family and been to a counsler but nothing has helped . Does anyone know what I can do to deal with this pain and depression...

How do you deal with a crazy ex boyfriend? [ 39 Answers ]

I'm 16 and my ex and I were together for a year and a half. Everything was fine in the beginning but girls would chase him and eventually he cheated on me. After the one time I forgave him and took him back. We broke up 13 times and got back together except for this time when he cheated again. It...

Selfish, self-centered boyfriend=selfish, self-centered husband [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has done many things to hurt me. To begin, he lied about who he was when we were dating. We were young and in college; he pretended to not smoke, get drunk, and go to church regularly. Thus, we seemed to have so much in common. We talked for hours; he swept me off my feet with...

How to deal with my depressed boyfriend? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with this guy about 7 months now. We are both fifteen. He is really sweet,caring,romantic,funny,he's an all around great guy. Except,he has depression. He tries not to let it get to him though. His parents divorced quite a while ago. He has days where he crashes and gets where...

View more questions Search