Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonjung777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
    How much do I have to pay the tax for 1099 (nonemployee compensation) as $6,000?
    I am a OPT status until April, 2011. I got a 1099 from my work as $6000 as nonemployee compensation. I am married status. How much do I have to pay approximately?

I heard I don't need to pay SS tax and medical tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 07:49 PM

On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes. On your income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    You will report 1099-misc income on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040) but you will not pay SE tax at 15.3% that is you do not complete schedule SE (Form 1040)
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    skysal1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 09:57 AM
    I am a resident and I was asub contrator and I made 16,715.00 and I didn't pay any money quarterly. This was my only income. How much will I have to pay? I live in Texas .
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 10:39 PM
    You married? Children?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 misc line 7 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I received a employment settlement from my ex employer. I first filed a wc claim with my employer they denied it. The Ama dr agreed in my favor and recommended reasonable accmmodation. I filed paper for reasonable accomm. My employer settle my WC case in compromise with my resignation (I was told...

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

1099 nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am retired. I was used by an automobile dealer to dx cars between dealerships. The dealer sent me a 1099 misc, nonemployee compentation for what they paid me last year. Where do I report this on form 1040? Will I need to set up a business and get a license?:confused:

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped. I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent...

1099 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am GA resident, and got paid (by non profit organisation) $6k in 2006, as Non-employee compensation, reflected in 1099 box 7. No other income in 2006, no W-2. How do I pay taxes and how much... basically, what next?

View more questions Search