Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cowboyfan024 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 07:02 AM
    Heat pump blows cool air,then warm air, then cool air again
    My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can problem be?
    southportgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 08:18 PM
    My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can problem be?
    rolandofka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 09:14 PM
    I have the same problem. I set the heat to say 70 degrees. The heat kicks on, gets the house to 70, and then blows out cold air for approx. 20 to 30 minutes and then starts to blow hot air again. The cycle never ends and the unit never shuts off unless I manually turn the thermastat down to 50 or so degrees. Any suggestions ut there?
    peglomaniac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 08:32 AM
    You have what is called a Heat Pump on your AC unit, which warms your house when it is cool outside. The problem is, when it is too cold, and it has to run for too long to warm your house, the cold air being drawn through the unit outside freezes the unit up, and then it has to go through a defrost cycle. That would be fine, except the cold air of the defrost cycle is circulated back through the heating system inside the house, thereby cooling the house off again. It is a poor design In my opinion - I think the cold air should be circulated OUTSIDE not back inside!
    peglomaniac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 08:34 AM
    See the answer for the first post above...
    augerbabe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
    It all cool

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ac with heat strip blows out cool air. [ 5 Answers ]

I recently (8 months)had a Fedders Ac System installed with a heat strip, but the heat does not seem to work properly. It blows out cool air and takes for ever to warm the house. The contractor has since moved to Dubai so I cannot get in touch with him. Is there anything I can check myself ?...

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air [ 7 Answers ]

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air

My heat pump only blows warm air. No cold air. [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new digital t-stat on my comformaker heat pump a/c system. I am getting warm air when I want it to cool.

Heat pump not blowing cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down. To be safe I shut it off. Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?...

Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air...

View more questions Search