Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PghCivic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
    '89 Civic runs fine for 15 minutes, then bogs, misses, stalls
    I have an '89 Civic 1.5l. It starts fine, runs fine, but after I've been driving it for a while (long after I'd normally say it's "warmed up") it starts to bog and stall whenever I give it the gas. It's OK at high RPMs, but to get it there I need to veeeery gently rev it up, or it will stall. Once I get it up to highway speeds it's mostly fine, but it will miss every couple seconds when going up hill. This started suddenly but has been getting slowly harder to drive since then. The car sits a lot; I only drive it like three times a month. Anybody have any hints?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Hi.. I had a similar problem, although my car is a rover,in my case is was muck in the petrol tank, which had to be removed and cleaned.

Having said that,there was a similar problem in a previous car, turned out to be the carburetta.

It could be the fuel is not getting through properly, plus the fact that it's standing for long periods giving any muck that may be in the tank chance to settle, when you eventually take it out, may be it disturbs everything which in turn somehow slightly blocks the fuel pipe, when you speed up perhaps the pressure is enough to clear such a blockage.

I would also suggest the distributer may be at fault, but usually the power will go straight away without warning.

I'm no mechanic but it's just a few things that I have experienced and what were my solutions, I hope it helps or at least gives you a few eye openers.

Goodluck
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2011, 05:49 PM

Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Jan 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
    That's a hell of a link right there! Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2011, 08:12 PM

No fluff--just solid, useful information.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2011, 08:31 PM

The other day, we had a woman who blew the exhaust system off her Cavalier. The ICM was failing (intermittent stalling), I believe, allowing gas to build-up. When it did fire, it detonated all the residual gas and literally blew the exhaust system off the car. Therefore, I wouldn't drive the car until the problem is solved.

Feb 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
    I'm getting ready to do the work here, and I finally got around to checking the computer codes -- it's blinking 8 times, which is the TDC sensor according to my book. It's not blinking code 15 for the igniter. Does that make sense, or do I have two problems here?
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2011, 06:10 PM

The TDC Sensor is unserviceable; therefore, you need to replace the distributor housing (Honda only). Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas don't work at AMHD. It's fine, however, to install aftermarket ICMs and coils in the new housing, in order to keep the cost down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda ht 3813 runs fine for about 5 minutes and starts to smoke any input? [ 1 Answers ]

Motor runs fine for about 5 minutes and then it starts to smoke , what could it be??

95 civic hard start - idles fine - bogs, dies w/gas [ 5 Answers ]

95 Civic LX very difficult to start. Will start after much turning on starter, when it starts, it will idle fine. If the gas pedal is feathered it will rev and hold. If the pedal is blipped it will bog and die. After that it is back to not wanting to start. Can hear the fuel pump run, have fire to...

92' Civic Runs Fine, but intermittently shuts off. [ 78 Answers ]

So here's the deal. A couple weeks ago my civic just shut off and would not start again. I went through and gave it a full tune-up. (spark plugs, wires, filters, cap & rotor) I ended up solving the problem when I replaced the Ignition Control Module and Coil. I also had some bad gas that had water...

1990 honda civic gets fuel +spark runs fine when it starts but turn off won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 1990 honda civic ex 1.6 OK here goes sometimes it will start and run perfect no problems but it seems like when it gets hot or you drive for 30 minutes or so you turn it off and go back to start it and all it does is crank when it does this it is getting spark and gas I have replaced fuel...

2000 civic ex, cold start problems, runs fine otherwise [ 18 Answers ]

I need help, I read so many posts on here, TXgreasemokey seemed to be most helpful. Here is my situation I have 2000 civic EX, runs great normally never had an issue, Maintenance has been done at or before every interval. And I do have a mechanic in the family to help with things. I started...

View more questions Search