Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justfine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
    Passwords Stored on Computer?
    Someone used my computer last week, is there a way of getting the passwords they used at the sites they went to?

Thanks.
    murph Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2004, 05:53 AM
    Things like keyloggers log every stroke that is made on the keyboard and can be set up to add all occurrences into a log file specified by the user. This needs to be installed however, before the event takes place. Incidentally, most a/virus or spyware solutions pick up keyloggers as offending items.
    There are programmes that can extract hashed passwords from say, the SAM database files in Windows and then other apps that will crack the hashed files. But again, these are mainly for passwords that are stored in your system. If somebody uses a log on for a website, the password details are stored on the server that hosts the website, not in your machine. I don't need to describe the complexity of how this information would need to be obtained.
    I think what you are trying to do would require a certain amount of technical expertise as you are getting into the realms of computer phorensics etc. You could try checking the clipboard as you would be surprised at how many people use the same password for multiple purposes and also copy and paste it. However, if you have started a new session since the event, this would not really be successful either. If the person has checked the box asking if you want Windows to remember the password then it will be on your machine. Search Google as there are quite a variety of tools that can be used to extract this info, depending on your OS.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2004, 07:23 AM
    Passwords
    Hi,
    In simple words, No.
    If they log out of sites, it would take more than the average person, if at all possible, to do what you want.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2004, 04:58 PM
    When you access a site that needs a password, usually it is stored in a cookie.
    As mentioned before, there must be little critter programs out there to decode them (google).
    But what you are asking for is very close to abuse of confidence.
    jtcorbeil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Yes you can in Firefox. If they use Firefox.

Go to tools, then options, then security, then click on saved passwords. It will show all usernames used in forms online and email accounts. You can switch then to show passwords as well for the matching usernames.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stored Gasoline [ 4 Answers ]

I stored gasoline in a regular 5-gallon gas can, but did not put any stabilizer in it. I forgot that I had it, and it is now about a year old. I was cautioned about using it. Can I use the gas? Can I mix it with a stabilizer now? Can I mix it with other, fresh gas to make it usable? If it is...

Encryption of passwords [ 14 Answers ]

Hi guys, Hello every one I was wondering if the passwords we enter Yahoo messenger or Yahoo mail are straight away encrypted because when I was trying to sniff my networks traffic 4 passwords I was hardly able to make out something and also I would like to suggest me some nice...

Hacking the passwords of windows [ 9 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have two questions. Firstly I want to crack any password of windows (family) Would you like to help me... Secondly I want to put a password on win98. Please help me to do this. Thnaks foir help

Windows 9x & ME Screensaver Passwords [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to or have/had the need to bypass a password-protected screensaver in Windows 9x/ME? If so, how did you do it. This is partially for research purposes. If interest is high enough I'll reveal the other part. Signed, ...

View more questions Search