Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprlost Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 08:09 PM
    Husband is illegal, how do I file Taxes
    I married my husband who is illegal in 2010. I have no idea what this ITIN is or what a W-7 form is. He has no passport only a birth certificate and ID from his country. Can I file as married filing single? I need to be able to claim my student loan interest and I think I can only do that as filing jointly but he really shouldn't exist in the states. We have an immigration lawyer and are in the process of getting him a visa... please help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 04:19 PM
    He needs a second form of ID in order to get the ITIN.

I recommend that you wait for the visa, then submit it with the birth certificate and Form W-7 to get his ITIN.
    rach200513 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 05:58 PM
    I too am married to an illegal immigrant. I filed single but married. How is the visa status coming along? I haven't found any lawyer to help us and we have a baby together. They want him to go back to mexico and keeps telling me he will be banned. If you can help me with some info I would appreciate it. [email protected]
    sprlost Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    We don't know when the visa is going to go through, could take years we're told. What do I do for this tax year?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 08:02 PM
    Will email you separately

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes if married to an illegal immigrant [ 3 Answers ]

How do I file my taxes if married to an illegal immigrant?

Would it be better for me to file my taxes by myself than with my husband? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband gets a check every month from is work due to a disablity. No taxes taken out of his check. I heard I would be better off to file my taxes separterly from my husband. Would it be better for me?

My husband is from mexico came to us illegal how do I file for his papers [ 2 Answers ]

My husband came to the us from mexico illegal but we are wanting to get his citizenship but I don't know how to do. Can you help?

My Husband Died Can I File His Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

:( hello my husband drove truck and i didn't work much this year because i rode with him a lot but he was killed in his truck a few months ago last year we filed together can i file the taxes this year?:confused:

View more questions Search