Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricman3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Thermodynamics proof of Cp - Cv = R
    Starting from the fundamental definitions for Cp and Cv, show that for all ideal gases,
    Cp = Cv + R

I haven't learnt about entropy yet. This question should be possible just using the First Law and pV = RT.

I know Cv = du/dT|v and Cp = dh/dT|p

Also, can anyone explain to me what a quasi-eqilibrium process is?
    Aravind Sagar Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2010, 02:22 AM
    consider a thermodynamic process in which a gas is heated.
    case 1:constant volume:
    dU=Q+dW
    here dW = 0
    hence dU=Q=Cp.dT... (1) (from definition)

case 2:at constant pressure, gas is heated so that the same change in internal energy takes place.
    then dU = Q + dW
    Q = Cv.dT
    hence dU = Cv.dT + R.dT (dW = p.dV = R.dT)
    substituting from (1), we get
    Cp.dT = Cv.dT + R.dT
    =>Cp = Cv + R,
    which is the required result

A quasi-static process (meaning nearly static) or quasi equlibrium process is a process in which the system is in equilibrium throughout the process, i.e. the process is infinitly slow. The change in temperature and pressure of the system with its surroundings is infinitesimally small. It is just a hypothetical concept to apply the thermodynamical laws in an easy way.
    ttttssss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
    There are mistakes from the answer. First law of thermodynamics is totally violated at the beginning and eq 1 should be Q = Cv dT, and some + and - sign misconception which at the end turn the answer around. It seems to me that the concept is totally wrong and it's just the math works. May check http://www.citycollegiate.com/molar_specific_heat2.htm for more info.
    ttttssss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
    There are mistakes from the answer. First law of thermodynamics is totally violated at the beginning and eq 1 should be Q = Cv dT, and some + and - sign misconception which at the end turn the answer around. It seems to me that the concept is totally wrong and it's just the math works. May check http://www.citycollegiate.com/molar_specific_heat2.htm for more info.
    PRASANTH_T Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
    to prove: cp-cv=r
    cp and cv are molar specific heat capacities of an ideal gas at const. pressure and volume and r is universal gas constant.
    To prove this relation we bigin with equation for 1 mole of gas
    ∆q=∆u+p∆v
    if ∆q is absorbed at cnst.volume,∆v=0
    Cv=(∆q/∆t)p=(∆u/∆t)v=(∆u/∆t)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2011, 09:51 PM

Thread is old had question has already been replied in a clearer manner.

THREAD CLOSED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heat and thermodynamics [ 4 Answers ]

How can I solve this problem? The problem is: Find the total heat needed to evaporate 200 g of ice at -5 degrees celsius in a 175 grams beaker.

Law of thermodynamics [ 1 Answers ]

What can't be created or destroyed according to the first law of thermodynamics?

Heat and Thermodynamics [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me about the useful work done by a gas.And Why expansion work is not useful

Thermodynamics [ 6 Answers ]

Why is the Cp value of any gas always greater than the Cv value?I don't want the mathematical proof from the formula Cp-Cv=R... I want the physical interpretation

View more questions Search