Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mystikangel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Can a 17 year old in a foster home leave without getting into trouble?
    My sister had guardianship of my 17 yr old. I found out yesterday that she signed over guardianship back over to the state and she is now living in a foster home with her 3 yr old daughter. I was told by friends that she don't have to stay there if she didn't want to, and that I could go get her and there's nothing anyone can do. Would I get in trouble for kidnapping my own daughter, and grand-daughter, and would she get into trouble for leaving?
    rbilow Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Jan 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
    Since she is still a minor, the state has her until she becomes an adult or another acceptable guardian steps forward. The bad part is that even when she becomes an adult they don't have to let her have her child unless they feel she can properly support her. Also since they are minors and wards of the state you and/or her could be charged with kidnapping.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Jan 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Without more, I would say yes you could get into serious trouble. You can not go by what people say, you need the facts: who has legal custody at this time is it the state welfare agency? If so, then you can be arrested and jailed if you were to take her.

However, nothing prevents you from going to court and seeking legal custody of her. Barring any issue of your unfittness, you should be awarded custody as the biological father.

As a side issue, in many jurisdictions bearing a child qualifies the mother to be "emancipated" either by name or de facto. As a first step, I would talk to your daughter and the agency that has custody of her and get the facts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get your 20 year old to leave home? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 20 year old son who is very acts likes a spoiled brat, he is verbally abusive, does not work and sleeps all day onlly to stay up all night and sometimes he invites his friends into the house when we are sleeping. All the advice I read says apply "tough love", set proper limits and then...

Can my beat friend leave her foster home at age 16 and live with me and my family? [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend has been in foster care for a little over 2 yrs. I have heard that she can leave at age 16 if she is not happy with the foster home she is in.

Can a 17 year old leave foster care in the state of Kentucky? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm am a 17 year old girl , Ive been in a foster home for the past 6 months and I really want to go home, I miss my family and I'm missing out on my nephews and nieces grow up and I really miss my boy friend, I went to court and my dad told the judge he didn't want me any more, is there any thing...

Foster Child Molested 3 year old in the home [ 2 Answers ]

I am connected with a foster parent group, we meet once a month. It was brought to my attention last night a foster parent has a 12 year old boy who has been for about a month (they just walked in and found him 2 days ago) molesting their three year old son. From what everyone is told the 12 year...

Better to let 16 year old leave home? [ 4 Answers ]

My sixteen year old son told me today he wants to leave home. This happened after I asked him where he sees himself in 1 year. We have been having quite a time with him for 2 years now - he uses pot daily and has for quite some time. I have found a multitude of drug related items and destroy...

View more questions Search