Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
    Kitchen faucet stopped working after using the sprayer
    Hi!!
    Kitchen faucet stopped working after using the spray. Now water is not coming from either of them. It happened to me a few months ago and after a few hours it again started working. No such luck today.
    I checked the following things so far
    1. Water supply is still on. Dishwasher is getting water from the same line.
    2. Opened up the aerator from the faucet. Still no water.
    3. Opened the spray attachment. No water still when I open the liver.

Was reading online that it may be related to diverter valve. Opened the cap on the faucet to find a nut. Went to home depot but could not find a suitable allan wrench to open the nut. I have attached the picture.

Home depot told me that do not carry diverter valves and to contact the manufacturer.
    I tried searching online to find out which brand the faucet might be (as there is nothing written on the faucet), but could not find the exact model (though found similar models) on kohler, delta, moen , Price Pfister.

Any ideas on next steps.
    Any guess on the brand based on the attached picture.
    Any suggestions on how to open the nut.

Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 03:46 PM

Don't recognize the brand but you probably have debris trapped in the faucet but the nut probably requires a metric Allen wrench.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 06:03 PM

HI guys...

That's a PEGASUS contemporary series faucet that is model #856 0111 in CHROME PLATE (lifetime warranty)... your model number would be slightly different... probably just add a BN for brushed nickel. If you look at the mixer valve on the left (single lever valve), I'm betting if you look super close that you will see PEGASUS in really small script writing... let me know.

Home depot sold this brand faucet so you will need to contact the manufacturer and e-mail them a picture of the faucet so they can send you a replacement SPRAY DIVERTER. At the same time, have them send you the instructions on this as I believe the spray diverter is in the mixer on the left... not the spout, but I am not 100% sure on that... ;)

With all that being said, it seems to me that the issue is more likely to be at the mixer cartridge itself... not just the spray diverter as both the spray and the faucet are involved, you know? I'd disassemble the mixer valve on the left there (shut off water below) and then clean all parts, and pulse hot and cold shutoffs from inside the cabinet to on (towel over mixer) to clear the lines. Reassemble and check your work. It could actually be that you need a new MIXER CARTRIDGE.. maybe?

You can reach the warranty/parts department at:

1-877-580-5682.

If they insist on a model number try using the model number I posted as it is the same faucet... just different finish is all... right? Otherwise, ask if you can e-mail a photo... that should work, too.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark

Jan 24, 2011, 06:02 AM
    Do you happen to have a link or photo of PEGASUS model #856 0111. It tried searching for this model but could not find a link with the photo. I will try calling them today.

Also, you mentioned about cleaning the mixer cartridge. Any ideas on how to open the mixer valve. The screw on the top of the mixer valve does not seem to come off easily. The spout screw came off easily by hand as shown in the picture.

Jan 24, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Do you happen to have a link or photo of PEGASUS model #856 0111. It tried searching for this model but could not find a link with the photo. I will try calling them today.

Jan 24, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Also, you mentioned about cleaning the mixer cartridge. Any ideas on how to open the mixer valve. The screw on the top of the mixer valve does not seem to come off easily. The spout screw came off easily by hand as shown in the picture.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 06:30 AM

Here is a photo of it in oiled bronze... see image.

The image was found at this link:

Pegasus Faucets | Pegasus Kitchen Faucets | Pegasus Bathroom Faucets | Pegasus Vanities | Buy Now at eFaucets.com

The image will be in the upper left hand corner, but there is no link provided for it.

In terms of accessing the mixer valve, the top just spins out like the other one does... under the cap is a screw/washer and the rest disassembles pretty easy!

Also, did you find the small pegasus name in script on the front/bottom of the mixer valve as I mentioned... just curious?

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for your help. I was able to call the customer service at Pegasus this morning. They will send out the sprayer and mixer valve. I will have to disconnect the existing sprayer and mixer valve and install the new one.

I got in beneath the sink yesterday, there is not too much space in there with garbage disposal. What kind of tool should I use to unscrew the mixer and sprayer. I will post a picture (under the sink)later in the evening to give specifics. Want to make sure what tool to look for when I go to HD.

Also, based on my pictures (attached earlier), can the sprayer and mixer valve removed from the top.

Note: Looked real closely yesterday with a mirror, but could not find Pegasus written on the mixer valve.

Thanks

Tarun

Thanks

Tarun
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 01:12 PM

They make a tool called a BASIN WRENCH (see image) that is used for faucet installations... available at all home improvement stores. Ridgid makes the best model as you can collapse or extend for even longer depths (not shown).

And having installed 2 of these faucets I am confident that you CANNOT remove the faucet from the top of the sink... gonna need to climb in and under the sink. Sometimes you just need to drop the disposal to make getting at this stuff easier, but that will depend on the piping arrangement under the sink and just how stubborn you are... :)

Let me know the result, OK?

Glad if we helped!

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 25, 2011, 05:55 AM
    Mark,

Thanks, I will check out the tool. I was thinking that since the it will take about a week for Pegasus to deliver the replacement , I will try opening the mixer valve and see if cleaning the cartridge and diverter assembly may start the water temporarily.

I was able to open up the mixer valve cap and found the screw. I was able to remove the screw as well, but could not go any further. I have attached the image below. I tried pulling the handle, but that didn't come off. Any ideas ?

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 06:00 AM

If the handle won't pop off you could try a HANDLE PULLER... see image. Cost is about $10.00.

Keep me posted... ;)
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2011, 05:06 AM
    How do you add attachments ? It gave me the option first time when posting the question. When I am trying to add an answer, I don't see any option. I tried using embed image in my last post but it did not come through
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 05:46 AM

Hi Tarun...

I only know how to add images in the "old skin", so can't help much on the new, "GO skin", but if you go over to the FORUM HELP section and post a question on this someone over there will help, for sure!

When you do get help, please let me know and I'll check the thread out as well... need to learn how, too!

How are things going?

Mark

Jan 28, 2011, 07:56 AM

I got the mixer and sprayer replacements from Pegasus yesterday. Got down under the sink to remove the existing mixer. I could find retainer nuts which was holding the sprayer. The mixer was little different not sure how to take it out. I could not find any retainer nut under the mixer.

Any idea on how will it come out. Do you think it is glued from the top.

As you can see there is nothing to screw on the bottom.
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Tarun...

I only know how to add images in the "old skin", so can't help much on the new, "GO skin",
    Mark
    With the "Old skin" you click on th e"Go Advanced " button, scroll down and click on the Manage Attachment button, browse for the pic, open it then click on "Upload".

With the new skin there is a "Do you want to add attachment" below and to the left of the answer block.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks Harold... will try the new skin and see what happens... ;)

Tarung, see that threaded section in your picture? It is that threaded section that has a very small nut and horseshoe washer tightened up against it to hold that mixer in place from underneath... see image below with highlighted nut.

Get up under the sink and you should see one nut on the threaded section and that will attach to the hose that feeds the spout (I think). Once you remove that nut you will clearly see the other nut up tight between the water lines as they go through the counter. Here, I BREAK OFF THE WATER LINES by wiggling them back and forth and then use the basin wrench to finally access the nut and remove it. If that won't work hold the nut and have someone tqwist the faucet from above.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 AM

Mark,

Why wouldn't you just use a tub and shower socket to remove the mounting nut. I hate basin wrenches.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 12:09 PM

Hi Harold... I hear you!

In this case, I am pretty sure that the threaded post is too long for the shower socket to work, but it could be close.

Otherwise, in my experience, some of these nuts are on so tight that they simply round the thinner-walled shower socket wrench and I didn't want tarung to have to run out and get another tool.

Here, once the water lines get broken off the nut should come off super easy using that basin wrench... although I must admit that in this case, AFTER he posted that pic. I might have mentioned the shower socket wrench as the nut/washer look like they have no corrosion whatsoever... ;)

Have a good day!

Feb 2, 2011, 10:17 AM

Hey Mark ,

Your suggestion worked out good. I was able to replace the mixer valve. I am keeping a watch on the leaks for next few days :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the update!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen faucet & sprayer not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

When we use our kitchen sprayer, a small stream of water still comes out of the faucet... help... we have a home inspection soon:mad:

How do I replace kitchen faucet sprayer with a undersink water filter faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old kitchen kitchen faucet with attached sprayer. I want to install a Culligan undersink filter which comes with a water faucet that REPLACES the sprayer. I have very limited room under the sink to work in. I cannot even get any normal open end wrenches/adjustibles to work with limited...

Kitchen faucet not working but sprayer does [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink was working fine and then 5 minutes later the faucet was not working at all but the sprayer was working fine. What do I do? >Moved from Forum Help<

Kitchen Faucet Sprayer On - Main Faucet not totally off [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a new house - new construction. When we use the sprayer in the kitchen faucet, water comes out the sprayer as it is supposed to, but the water does not completely shut off in the main faucet. There is still a thin column of water coming out. We had the faucet replaced, and this...

Kitchen Faucet Not working... but sprayer does? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: This faucet was installed by a previous homeowner and I'd like to troubleshoot before diving in or replacing the faucet. This is a compression faucet with a separate sprayer. When you turn on the hot or cold or both, barely a trickle of water comes out of spout. The sprayer works, but...

View more questions Search