Ask
    Dakotalex Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Will a different breed ruin her for future purebreed labs
    Unwanted breeding!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 09:25 AM

I sort of know what the point of your post is. If you breed a purebred with another breed, it disqualifies her from being a registered dog with the kennel club and nullifies her bloodline.

Is this what you mean ?
    Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 10:55 AM

I'm wondering if the question is whether one mixed litter means all future litters will be mixed.

- or something.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 11:33 AM

I would like to know how a qualified breeder could make a mistake like this and have an unwanted mating.

If she's bred with a lab and she's a purebred lab, than she'll have lab puppies. Since she was bred with another breed the puppies will be mixed, which is something no legitimate breeder allows. The purpose in breeding is to further the breed, not to destroy the breed by mixing it with other breeds.

So, will it "ruin" her for future purebreed labs? Well, most of the breeders with a stud dog available for breeding, one that's been shown in the ring and won best of his breed, one that's had all the genetic testing, a great example of the breed, probably won't consider a female that's been carelessly bred before.

If you're a backyard breeder, which is what it sounds like, than it won't have any effect. Backyard breeders only breed for the money. They don't care about the breed or furthering the breed. They want puppies to sell. A legit breeder usually doesn't even make money off their pups because they put a lot of expense into ensuring their pups are the best of the best.

So it depends. Are you a breeder, or a back yard breeder?
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 12:06 PM

I vote for an uneducated breeder. Is that a choice?

Jan 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Look I'am not a breeder. I just have a soft spot for animals and everybody and their brother ask me to babysit their animals. I could not help my granddaughter let her dog out of her kennel. But I found her with the boxer. I can not find a vet to get a morning after pill. I just don't want my son to get rid of the dog because she's damaged goods. I just did not know about it affecting future pups. I did not need all the sarcastic replies. You have a nice day anyway.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 01:06 PM

A spay abort is an option. If you're not a breeder than it's best to have the dog spayed anyway.

I'm sorry if you took my post wrong. All of the people on this site are animal advocates. We abhor backyard breeders. There's a reason for this. Over 5 million dogs are killed every year in shelters, in the US alone. The main reason for this is backyard breeders. They breed without thought to the dogs already on this planet, dogs that need a home, they don't breed to further the breed, they don't do the genetic testing required to further the breed. They're in it to make money, while there are millions of dogs without a home. Healthy dogs, young dogs, dying in shelters because there simply aren't enough people to give them a forever home.

Why would your son get rid of the dog? Is he a breeder? If so, he should know better than to leave the dog where there's an unaltered male. If he's not a breeder than he shouldn't be having "future pups" therefore it shouldn't be an issue.

Spay abort is the best option available. I hope that your son decides to keep his dog as a family pet and leaves the breeding to those that are qualified to do so.

I hope you can understand where we're coming from, and I also wish you a very nice day. :)
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 01:28 PM

Now - again - I'm confused. Why would your son get rid of the dog because she's "damaged goods?"

Is your son a breeder?

Having a soft spot for animals is one thing. Taking in/babysitting animals you cannot care for is another.

I'm a little bit jaded today because I've had a rescue calling me for about a week with an AKC GSD that will be put down if no permanent home is found. As much as my heart bleeds, I just take her at this time.

I think that's being a responsible pet owner. At least I hope it is!

Echo what Alty said and trust you will likewise have a good day.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotalex View Post
    I did not need all the sarcastic replies. You have a nice day anyways.
    I am sorry, but if you had put all of this in your original post you would not have got sarcastic replies. We didn't understand what you meant really. So don't come down on us so hard. Lot of dog lovers here and some are dead set against back yard breeders and we do get a lot of questions from people like that.

I hope you weeded through everything and got the answer you need. Yes, she would have been damaged goods.

Jan 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
    He got her for a hunting dog and wanted to breed her once. It was my grand daughter that let her out of the kennel.. My son and his little family live with us at this moment in time. And the boxer would have had to be put down because his owner had to go to war, to serve this country. And he loves the dog, so I guess I should have looked the other way and not of taken care of the dog for him. And I just adopted a german shepherd puppy so it didn't get put down. Geez you're a hard crowd. :)
    Anyone know of a good trainer in NC rowan co. that could train the shepherd to be a guide dog for my autistic son? She seems like she'd be good at it.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 02:08 PM

I still don't see the problem because she's pregnant now - what does it matter if she has one litter or two if she's a good dog?

As far as your passive/aggressive stance on "you should have looked the other way" that's hogwash. No, what you should have done is kept closer watch on a dog in heat and a unneutered male.

I have step grandchildren and two very large dogs in a fenced-in yard. I have a lock on the gate AND I keep watch so that the gate doesn't "somehow" get opened and the dogs wander out. Same with the doors. My dogs are safe and secure... and I keep them that way.

No, I don't know of any trainers in NC that have the expertise to train dogs to assist people who are autistic. I do know there is a center which does train such dogs (my friend has one for her daughter, more of a companion than an assistance dog) but it came from somewhere in the South. That same facility trains dogs for the deaf and blind.

And, yes, we are a hard crowd - because we've seen perfectly wonderful pets put down because "they" got pregnant - like they did it deliberately to spite their owners.

Stick around, answer some questions, give other points of view when you don't agree. Everyone benefits.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotalex View Post
    He got her for a hunting dog and wanted to breed her once. It was my grand daughter that let her out of the kennel.. My son and his little family live with us at this moment in time. And the boxer would of had to be put down because his owner had to go to war, to serve this country. And he loves the dog, so I guess I should of looked the other way and not of taken care of the dog for him. And I just adopted a german shepherd puppy so it didn't get put down. geez your a hard crowd. :)
    anyone know of a good trainer in NC rowan co. that could train the shepherd to be a guide dog for my autistic son? She seems like she'd be good at it.
    I really don't think you understand where we're coming from.

If he got her as a hunting dog than why breed her? Unless he's a responsible breeder, and follows the guidelines I already outlined, than he's nothing but a backyard breeder. Have you heard of puppymills? Backyard breeders are just one tiny step above puppymills to those people that are animal advocates. If he loves his dog than he'll do her ,and the rest of the dogs in this world, a favor, and have her spayed.

It's great that you've adopted dogs, I have as well. Can I ask who the boxer belongs to? Why hasn't he been neutered? Having your pets altered is the responsible thing to do, and part of being a good owner. Spaying and neutering not only prolongs their lives, but it also prevents little accidents, like the one you just witnessed, from happening.

Bottom line, there are enough unwanted puppies in the world without your son adding to the problem.

No, I don't know any trainers in your area. I would suggest starting a different thread for that question. You'll get more responses if it's posed as a separate question.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 02:14 PM

Training guide dogs here in Ontario, if they are suitable, cost about $30,000 to train.

Why a boxer for hunting. They aren't hunters. They haven't got the bone structure for that sort of stamina.

Tick

Jan 22, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    The white Lab. Not the boxer
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 02:40 PM

The white Lab. Not the boxer
    Then he should enjoy her as a pet and hunting partner, and not try to breed her for profit. That's not the act of a person that loves their pet. It's pure selfishness. I know you don't agree, and you don't seem to be willing to listen to reason, but those are the facts.

Just to bring it home, here are 3 of the many dogs available in my local shelter right now. Statistically, at least 2 of these dogs will never find a home, they'll be euthanized instead. If your son breeds than their chances of finding a home will be even less likely. So, who lives and who dies? The choice is very much in the hands of humans, and the decisions they make.

Attachment 35042

This is Sydney, a 5 year old Shepherd. She's spayed. She's been in the shelter since January 9, 2011.

Attachment 35043

This is Smartie, a 4 year old lab/border collie cross. He's neutered. He's been at the shelter since January 14, 2011.

Attachment 35044

This is apple, a 2 month old purebred border collie. She's been spayed. She's been at the shelter since January 10, 2011

There are 1 month old puppies also available. The owner decided having puppies is too much work and relinquished them long before they should even be taken away from their mother.

Chances are the first two will never be adopted. People want puppies, many pass by the older dogs. Those are the facts of life. Puppies obviously aren't immune from being dumped at the shelter. Let's be realistic concerning your son. He wants to breed, he won't be happy that his dog was impregnated by a boxer. So, what will he do with the puppies? I have a feeling that the shelter near you will soon have 1 month old lab/boxer puppies up for adoption, which means that the 5 year old in the next pen will have an even harder time finding a home. But who cares right? That's not your problem. :(
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 03:29 PM

You are killing me -
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You are killing me -
    I know the feeling. If I had the room I'd be making a trip to the shelter. I'm thinking that Smartie would fit right into our family. I already have a lab/border collie cross and a border collie/Dog knows what cross. Hubby threatened to move out if I even suggest visiting the shelter. He knows that if we go we'll bring something home.

Just to be clear, he's just as bad as I am. Whenever we go to adopt a new bunny he refuses to go to the dog area because he can't leave them there. The hardest part is when we do go to adopt a dog. Choosing one out of 100's is not easy. How can you pick just one when there are so many sad faces looking at you begging you to take them home, love them, give them a family?

Darnit. Now I'm all weepy. :(

I just don't understand how people can breed irresponsibly when there are so many beautiful dogs dying in shelters. I think it should be a law that anyone that decides to breed should have to work just 1 week at their local shelter. They should put them in the kill room, where their job will be to hold the dog while it's euthanized, then off to be cremated. I challenge anyone to work in the kill room, watching sometimes up to 15 dogs die in one day, and then go home and breed. If you can do that then you shouldn't have pets.

Here are some more dogs currently at my local shelter.

Attachment 35053

This is Naomi. She's a 7 month old female Shepherd. She's spayed. Naomi has been at the shelter since January 15, 2011.

Attachment 35054

This is Lucky. He's an 8 month old male Labrador. He's neutered. Lucky has been at the shelter since December 11, 2010.

Attachment 35055

This is Abby Mallard. She's a 4 month old female Labrador. She's spayed. Abby has been at the shelter since January 4, 2011.

Attachment 35056

This is Smiles. She's a 5 month old female Shepherd. She's spayed. Smiles has been at the shelter since December 30, 2010.

There are many purebred GSD's and purebred Labradors at the shelter. You see, they're a common breed, no shortage of them. Many people who breed Labs cannot sell them, there's too much competition. That's why you can find many Labrador puppies at shelters up for adoption. Thanks to backyard breeders. You see, a legitimate breeder would never give their puppies up to a shelter. They'd also never allow a puppy that's been adopted from their kennel to end up in a shelter. Legitimate breeders usually make the new owners sign a contract stating that the dog will be returned to the breeder if the owner should ever decided they no longer want the dog.

So, every dog in the shelter, all the dogs I've posted here, are from irresponsible backyard breeders like your son.

Think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scratching labs [ 4 Answers ]

My lab scratches all the time.

How do I know if my pit bull is purebreed? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I bought a brindle colored pit bull about 8 months ago and I am unsure if he is purebreed. How can I tell if he is a pure breed? I saw the Sire of my dog but not the Dam. The breeder that I bought him from said that he bred it with one...

Toys for Labs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I will first start by saying this is a great site for information. I need some suggestions for toys for my 6 month old lab. We have a rope toy and a plush sqeaky toy and a Nylabone. We have gone to Petcetera (we live in Canada) and only see really $$$ stuffed animals. We have Kongs but we...

Heeler biting Labs [ 3 Answers ]

From an email: ''My husband is going to give my dog away and I am frantic. My Heeler, Chico, bites his labs on the ankles and draws blood. He does this Constantly no matter what we do to correct him. Even the shock collar Didn't phase him. Chico is 1 1/2 years. His basic training went...

Could sex ruin future? [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost half a year now. We started having sex after two months together. It was his first time. Now we do it at least twice a week, or more. We plan on getting married in the near future, but could all this sex and intimacy ruin our future relationship ? By...

View more questions Search