Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Search warrant
    Someone drove by and saw a door open at my house, called the police and the police came and entered the house with no search warrant... are they allowed to enter with no search warrant without probable cause?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 09:00 PM
    They are not searching, they are doing a welfare check, an open door when reported would be the probable cause.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Jan 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Was the "probable cause" already not established? The open door may be the "cause". What if someone saw smoke coming from your house, should the police or the fire department not try to find the "cause"? Or let your house burn to the ground! If the police had ignored the alert about the open door and someone robbed you blind, would you not be upset? --- Ace
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
    I will also add that you also have to remember that the police can search without a valid warrant, but all that happens is that what is found in that search can't be used in court.

But as a police officer in Atlanta we used to get calls several times a week about a door open, or window open, and we would go and search the area to see if someone had broken in the home or not.

Normally most would be someone just leaving a door open but about 1 in 10 would be someone had broken in.

The police would not normally just stop if they see a door open ( unless it is a business after business hours) but when a neighbor calls, there is an assumption that this is not the norm, since if this normally happened, why would the neighbor call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dui Vop Warrant [ 8 Answers ]

I Was Placed On Dui Misdemeanor Probation For 1 Year. I Did All My Dui Classes, Comm Service, Fine, Etc... Excep That I Did Not Check In The Last 60 Days Of My Probation. Now There Is A Warrant But The Warrant Was Signed By The Judge After My Probation Was Supposed To End. The Po Officer Did The...

Search For Archery [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, I live in Raleigh, by NCSU and I loved archery growing up but I have yet to find a place where you go and practice any type of archery. If anyone knows of a place between Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, and Garner please let me know~ Thanks

Warrant [ 7 Answers ]

A nephew has a warrant out for his arrest. He did not show up in court. His dad posted a $5,000 surety bond. I guess my question is : How long of a wait is there, do they look for you or wait for you to mess up again. What happens to the dad and the bond?

Music Search [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website that provides sheet music for a specific song for a specific instrument?

View more questions Search