Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Narcotics and Boils
    I have a strange question. My brother in law has been in and out of Rehab for Percocet, Oxy, Etc... He says he never does them anymore but he always is going to the Dr because of Boils. A friend of mine says that my brother in law is still using because Drinking and Percocet can cause boils. Is this true? I have goggled it but really didn't get a real answer. IF anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 09:29 AM

Our member DrBill would know, but he's usually not on site until late in the day. Have you called your pharmacist? Mine usually knows as much (or more) about drugs than my doctors do.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 09:50 AM

I really don't have a pharmacist since I moved more then a year ago and haven't gotten sick or needed medication since then but I think my one friends wife is a pharmacist I should ask her. Thanks Wondergirl.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 10:02 AM

I'll call mine right now and let you know in a few minutes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 10:08 AM

My pharmacist said boils do not result from Percocet use or the combination of drinking and Percocet. A doctor should be consulted to find out the reason for the boils, and if they even ARE boils -- or evidence of something else.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks I really appreciate it. I am not really worried for him he is a grown man but I just don't want my Niece and Nephew around this stuff. I would go into details about what is going on but that is a different thread entirely.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 10:13 AM

Drinking, Percocet, and boils? I'd stay away too. The pharmacist said the boils are not from a virus, but the person with this problem definitely needs to seek medical attention, especially if the boils are recurring and/or are many.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 10:22 AM

He has them all the time and multiple boils at once. At least I don't have to take him aside and tell him I know he is using again. I didn't want to be the one since it is my wife's brother and it always starts a fight. He really needs to get serious about this stuff. Thanks for all your help Wondergirl!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 10:45 AM

Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to various dermal eruptions. Usually a combination effect of vitamin deficiency, lack of hygiene and the fact that the capillaries that feed the outer layers of the body become occluded due to effects of alcohol.

I have heard of boils and absesses developing from injected oxycodone and other narcotics, but not oral .

Alcohol should not be consumed while taking Percocet (which contains acetaminophen) because the combination competes for enzymes in the liver and may increase/accelerate liver damage.

So while the combined use is contraindicated I don't believe there is a basis to think boils are symptomatic of the combination.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks DrBill!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boils... Boils.. Boils... Help me please! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a very bad problem with boils... Right now I have about 4 to 5 on my body at this time... and I don't know what is causing them... lately I've been getting them around my bra line. And when they burst they are leaving gapping holes under my breast, on my back, on my sides and in my growing...

Sunburn Boils [ 2 Answers ]

My cheer team had a car wash and it was really hot out and I didn't wear sunscreen and I got really burnt and now I have like these bumbs on my nose and I don't want them to start peeling cause I have one week of school left, how can I get rid of it fast?

Boils From Epilator [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please give me some advice, I have recently used an epilator on my legs, I tried it on a small patch above my ankle and then used it again the next day over my entire legs because that patch looked fine.. . But the next day I had small boils that seemed to have yellow puss in them, and...

Why do I get these boils? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a very clean, athletic, healthy person. I'm 19 and a volleyball coach. There are reoccuring boils constantly on my ankle, outer thigh and one even came right over my ribs, well I think they are boils. They are sooo painful to the point I can't walk. They get very big and sometimes have black...

View more questions Search