Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LOWLOW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Thermal release device
    Where can i buy a thermal relaese device for a ge water heater? Installed one last year, blow one this year and ge says they can only ship one well have to purchase a new heater, govt regulations?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 06:10 PM

Don't shout. All caps is considered shouting in internet decorum.

By thermal release device, do you mean the T&P (temperature and pressure release) valve, usually has a piece of pipe attached going down the side of the tank?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Never heard about a gov't regulation unless it got stuck under Obamacare. I'm assuming you are talking about a TPR valve on the heater. You can buy one at HD or Lowe's, they are almost all universal. However, the fact that 2 are leaking leads me to believe you may have a bad pressure regulator valve on the feed line. Put a pressure gauge on the heater drain, tighten well and open the drain. Pressure should not exceed 60#. If it does, you need to adjust the pressure or replace the line pressure regulator.
    DLVGroup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 05:27 PM
    The Thermal Release Valve is located below the gas burner! In case of an small explosion or just plain failure , it will close the damper door located below the gas burner! No air, no combustion! It has nothing to do with Obamacare like some people on here to have you to believe! It's just an act of God or it was just it's time to go!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 06:57 PM

Lowlow
    Suggest visiting this site.
    Tanklets: Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) Water Heater Issues
    Randy111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
    What he is asking about is a thermal protection device that controls the air door for the burn chamber. The idea is that when the screens get clogged, the bottom of the water heater gets warm and then the device blows. GE does not have a part number and will only send one if the water heater is under warranty. You can clean out the screens but since the air door won't open, the flame goes out.
    tam111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Great information! Contacted GE Support (phone number is on label on water heater). The part is a controlled item and you can only get it from GE at the support number, that is if your water heater is still under warranty. The part name is "Thermal Release Device," manufactured exclusively for GE by Rheem and the part number is SP20166A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal protection device open [ 2 Answers ]

Getting 4 blinking lights. Furnace lights kicks on and works for like 5 minutes then shuts off but the fan keeps blowing then it repeats over and over again.

Trane furnace codes?thermal protetion device open ? [ 2 Answers ]

Code flashes 4 times, chart says thermal protection device open how do I fix this problem

Thermal protection device open? [ 0 Answers ]

I have an American Standard Freedom 80. The blower turns on when heat is called for but as the glow plug is not "lit", no gas comes through and there is no ignition = NO HEAT. I am very ignorant to the workings of furnaces and need some advice. Do I simply try to replace the glow plug? How can...

Thermal release device gas water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hotpoint brand gas water heater. First off all Hot point doesn't release any parts to anyone so you have to have the parts they have overnighted to you. No big deal really if the actually overnight it which they didn't. Anyway, I need my thermal release valve replaced. Any do it...

View more questions Search