Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkartdog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Hole on front of tooth
    Eeek! I've noticed a hole developing on the front of one of my teeth just above the gumline. I'm completely freaked out by this as I'm 27 and never had anything wrong with my teeth.

Can anyone tell me if they know what this sounds like? I thought tooth decay happened from the inside out? Could it be something else?

Is this kind of thing treatable or do you have to get rid of the tooth?

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 10:26 AM
    You have a cavity.

Dec 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
    So I probably just need a filling?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Yeah ASAP before it gets bigger

Dec 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Thank you! I'll sort that out! Xx
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 05:52 PM
    I might add that you may need to floss. Electric toothbrushes do a better job at brushing.

Cavities generally happed from the outside in, but in rare instances they happen from the inside out. Mine happened from trauma during surgery where the tooth next to it came in the roof of the mouth and had to be removed. It took may years (15+) before it became noticeable. Early x-rays were looked at and the area did get bigger over time, but decay from the inside wasn't suspected.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Is it a hole or a notch? You can get notching along the gumline from being too aggressive with your toothbrush or from clenching and grinding.
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Jan 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
    In a lot of cases, cavities like that on the facial side of the tooth are caused from sucking on candy or chewing gum that has sugar in it. If you do this, I would try not to suck on hard candy, I would chew sugarless gum, and cut back on soft drinks.
    marshymal56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Will brushing teeth more fix the cavity?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
    Simple answer marshy... no! The only way to fix a cavity is to see a dentist and have a filling placed.
    marisa9876 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
    A filling would fix it
    ChrisMidge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Can u comment saying how it went and all the details please a have a small hole in the my front tooth as well it would meen slot thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Front Tooth. Looking for best treatment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am Rahul from Bangalore, India. 10 years back, I fell and lost half of my front tooth. I haven't feel any pain in that. Till now, I was not in the position to pay for that, But Now I want to repair and want it exactly to be as close to the natural as possible. I am not worried about its...

Hole possibly developing on gum above front tooth following crown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a crown put in during January following a badly chipped tooth. The procedure went fine, it was a little uncomfortable but no real problems. A few months down the line I noticed the gum tissue above the tooth (one of my top front teeth). Was still feeling bruised. It is a little darker...

Missing front tooth [ 2 Answers ]

My 13 year old daughter has a missing front tooth. She is very self conscious!:( Her milk tooth came out late, when she was about 10. As a result of that her adult front tooth is on the front of her gum and has not come down yet The dentist just keeps saying it will come down but I really don't...

View more questions Search