Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Main Line cleaner in toilet
    Can a bottle of Main Line cleaner be poured down a first floor toilet to clean out the waste line? I read this online somewhere (not on this site), but after reading the bottle it didn't sound like it could (should) be used for this.

I have a gravity-flush toilet that tends to get a sluggish flush on occasion requiring snaking more often than I'd like. I was thinking the main line cleaner might open the lines and keep things flowing more freely.

What do you think?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 01:05 PM

I don't recommend any luquid cleaners if the toilet is not flushing properly, half the time it's the toilet and not the line anyway. Check the small hole down in the bottom of the sump area of the toilet, try not to be too squeemish you are washable. This hoel can slowly plug causing the flushing swirl to not start. Have you ever rodded from the roof stack, try that next.

Jan 25, 2009, 01:53 PM

There's no hole in the bottom of the toilet. It's a gravity flush (learned that from speedball1) so there's only holes along the inside rim. I've cleaned those with a wire hanger and snake the toilet. After snaking it seems to flush pretty well for a while but slows up after a few weeks.

I cleaned out the innards of the toilet before putting it back in about 18 months ago, so I think the toilet itself works OK.

Never rodded from the roof stack. How do you do that?

Anyway, if it's not a good idea to use cleaners in a toilet I won't do that. I'll just continue snaking. The mechanism works OK enough. Just trying to make life easier. Maybe I'll buy a bigger toilet snake.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2009, 04:52 PM

Rodding from the roof stack requires you to be on the roof with a sewer rodder, not much fun in my climate this time of the year. Your rod roof to basement floor plus 20' to clean out the stack which can cause slow flushing. When you rodded before did you remove the toilet from the floor?

Jan 25, 2009, 07:21 PM

I did not rod the line before putting the toilet back in, and rodded it with the toilet in place.

I'll have to wait until better weather here in Buffalo before getting on the roof. Should be ready by, oh, June.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2009, 08:16 PM

OK I think we have your problem narrowed down. You can't really rod a sewer line with the toilet in place. You can get a toilet auger in about 3-4' at most and you'll never get a 2" cutter/rod/snake to go through the toilet. If the toilet is still an issue and if it's unsafe to be on the roof then pull the toilet and rod the line with a 2" snake, go at least 20' or more. You'll need a new wax ring to reset the toilet, get a good one with a neopreme cuff.

Jan 27, 2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks for that advice. I will do as you suggest.
    n8ivdragon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
    I've read these answers to a problem I may be experiencing myself. The main lines from my house to the sewer connection have roots growing in them. It's an old house 90+ years old with, I believe, clay tiles. A bit of research, and I have discovered that a product called rootx will eliminate the root problems. The symptoms of the problem, backed up floor drains, slow flushing toilets are what we must concern ourselves with and if we only concern ourselves with the symptoms, the problem remains. Get rid of the roots, and then get rid of the sediment caused by the blockage.
    Saying "I wouldn't put chemicals down my toilet" without a valid reason does't help anyone. Do some research! There are products available. Also, rather than taking the word of people who are obviously uneducated about the subject, talk to a professional!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 04:23 PM

N8ivdragon...

I completely disagree with you on your approach to this whole thread, OK? Bear with me and then, please, respond...

Here, kbuchholtz specifically asked, "Can a bottle of Main Line cleaner be poured down a first floor toilet to clean out the waste line?" Ballenger's answer was SPOT ON when he replied, "I don't recommend any liquid cleaners if the toilet is not flushing properly, half the time its the toilet and not the line anyway".

Here, as recommended, you start with an examination of the basics and then if that fails you SNAKE THE DRAIN LINE. If the snake comes back with roots on it then, and only then, would we recommend using a chemical treatment such as ROOTX to help in clearing/maintaining the drain system for as long as possible, OK?

It's not that we are against chemicals, it's that we need to know when to use them and when not to use them. Here, in the above thread, no one mentions roots so why would we recommend a root treatment like you did?

Really now, you said, " saying I wouldn't put chemicals down my toilet without a valid reason doesn't help anyone". Isn't it funny that you just told someone to use a root treatment for a drain with no confirmed root issues? And, not to shove your own words down your throat, but maybe "rather than taking the word of people who are obviously uneducated about the subject", the askers here should stick with the REAL PROFESSIONALS, huh?

Hey! We make mistakes all the time, but they are just that, mistakes. For someone with their first post to pop in and call anyone, especially someone with almost 20,000 posts, "uneducated" and unprofessional, well, that is simply frowned upon, OK?

For what it is worth, we really do welcome your input, but please present your opinion and keep it to the facts, OK?

Thank you...

Mark

Jan 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
    This post originated last year around this time. In the Spring I replaced the toilet and have had no issues with the flush since then. Thank you ballenger for the advice. It turns out it was the toilet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pellet toilet cleaner sucked into toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I dropped a blue pellet toilet cleaner into the toilet and it got sucked in - when I flush the toilet now it makes a horrible jack hammer sound. Will this thing ever dissolve? Is there anything I can flush down the toilet to make it dissolve faster? Thanks

Access 2007: can't use Hėlp link or any other main page links [ 4 Answers ]

The program seems to work correctly but clicking on any link from the main screen (Help, Downloads, Online Templates, etc) I get a new showing a "Configuration process" . This takes a couple minutes... then I get a pop-up "In order to complete setup, a system reboot is necessary. Would you...

Backup in bathtub, toilet leaking, possible washing machine link [ 2 Answers ]

This evening after I flushed the toilet I heard a couple of gurgle sounds then noticed water on the bathroom floor. I tried flushing the toilet again and the water came to the top without going down. There was also sewage at the bottom of the bathtub. I was also doing laundry at the time and...

Proximity of the toilet and main drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all - great forem! So I'm putting a bathroom in my unfinished basement, I've excavated the main drain and am planning the placement of a shower, tiolet, and sink. My question is how close can I put my toilet to the main drain. It is about 4 inches below the floor and runs at an angle . ...

Put in new floor, what to do with main toilet pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

We just installed a new floor in my mother's mobile home. The main pipe the toilet connects to isn't sitting on the floor. The flange on it isn't mounted to anything. The floor was installed with about a 2 inch space between it and all around the flange. The pipe itself is attached to a floor beam...

View more questions Search