Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rainwater91910 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Diabetes and Donating Plasma
    I've been donating plasma twice a week since Thanksgiving and I rarely miss one due to deferment. When I told my friend that I'm a borderline diabetic, she told me I need to stop donating plasma. So... why is that? Does it make it worse? How does donating plasma affect blood sugar?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 01:56 PM

Here are the facts from Dlife.com regarding diabetics donating blood. Your friend better bone up on her information and not spread these untruths. If you are in the UK, which you are not, they don't allow certain diabetics to donate blood for various reasons. It is not a communicable disease, tell her that and get her to read this:

Having diabetes does not automatically exclude you from donating blood. The American Red Cross states that people with diabetes may donate blood if they meet the following guidelines:

* They have not had an initial dosage of insulin or change of insulin dose in at least two weeks.
    * They have not received an injection of bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom since 1980.
    * Oral medications for type 2 diabetes don’t disqualify you from blood donation eligibility. It is suggested that people with diabetes wait 8 weeks (or 56 days) between whole blood donations. Other blood donation eligibility guidelines may apply, depending on your medical history

You keep up your life giving donations. I applaud your spirit.
    rainwater91910 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    She didn't say that because she thought it was communicable. I'm thinking maybe she thought that donating plasma regularly makes it difficult for your body to regulate blood sugar.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 11:00 PM

Diabetes is not communicable.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 04:05 PM

Rainwater, why did you ask if you already new all the answers. You shot us down for nothing, and especially after I gave all of my information, said you were great for giving blood and what thanks do I get.

Don't bother posting anymore questions on this forum, rainwater, if you want to act that way. We are all volunteers here and give our time to this forum.

You are ungrateful.

I am a diabetic as well, and give blood quite frequently. Donating regularly has nothing to do with balance of blood sugar. Only your pancreas can regulate that, did you know that too ?
    Tick
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Diabetes is not communicable.
    Oops, sorry, J, at least you know what I was trying to do and it wasn't giving you a reddie !
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    rainwater, why did you ask if you already new all the answers. You shot us down for nothing, and especially after I gave all of my information, said you were great for giving blood and what thanks do i get.

Dont bother posting anymore questions on this forum, rainwater, if you want to act that way. We are all volunteers here and give our time to this forum.

You are ungrateful.

I am a diabetic as well, and give blood quite frequently. Donating regularly has nothing to do with balance of blood sugar. Only your pancreas can regulate that, did you know that too ?
    tick
    Got to spread the love... but I LOVE it. Why do they ask questions if they already have all of the answers? I just don't get it.

Oh, and the improper use of the rating system? I wish people would read the rules first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Donating plasma [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been donating plasma for 3 years and now my left arm is starting to become numb if I lean on it too long. I'm not having problems with my other arm which may be because I only donate with my left arm. My question is... is my left arm becoming numb because of the donating?

View more questions Search