Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helpingmymom1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 01:46 AM
    Disabled and Husband wants divorce... what can/should I ask for?
    I'm on disability, have full body rheumatoid arthritis. Husband wants divorce, we own home, well making payments, we have one car, also making payments, he has 401k. We've been married 12 years and were together 7 years before that. What can or should I ask for in the divorce?
    bailey3012 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2011, 01:59 AM
    Hi because you've been married for 12 years your intitled to half of everything... the saying "whats his is yours and whats yours is his" applys to your question .
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:00 AM
    What can you ask for? Whatever you want.
    What should you ask for? We can't say based on a little information. You can go the usual route of hiring a lawyer, who will fight for as much as possible, or you and your husband can go to a mediator, or you can each agree on a settlement and write your own agreement. (I did that, but we had no children and our only big asset was a bit of equity in a house. We borrowed friends' papers and plugged our names in.)

Only 9 states left are community property states, loosely meaning each is entitled to half.

In your case, if your husband is not feeling honorable and charitable, I would get a lawyer, who just for starters can get financial information possibly hidden from you or lied to you about.
    You might be best served by alimony over a just lump sum, keeping in mind how disability benefits will be affected.
    bailey3012 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Comment on bailey3012's post
    I gave my answer on me living in the uk.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2011, 08:23 AM

Comment on bailey3012's post
    I gave my answer on me living in the uk.

Then you should have specified you were answering for the UK. You usually can't make a definitive statement on law without knowing location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled Spouse Abuse and Divorce [ 13 Answers ]

A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS shortly after she was married and had a child. She is receiving disability income but works 3 days per week. She is able to drive herself to work and to take care of her daughter when her husband isn't home. Money isn't the issue here, but nonetheless, due...

Can I divorce someone disabled [ 2 Answers ]

We have lived apart for more than 15 years I am disabled and now he is disabled as well. We own a house together which he lives in. I don't want the house.

Getting the house after divorce with disabled child [ 10 Answers ]

My husband left 4 years ago because of his affair I'm I was left to bring the 3 children up 1 who is severely disabled and needs me to do everything for her, she is now 15 years old and he never sees her... would I be able to get the house in a divorce settlement the mortgage is in his name only

Married to disabled husband [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping a married friend with her taxes. She is married to a man who is on SSA disability for a head injury. He receives less than $15,000 per year and has never filed taxes while single due to it being only the SSA. She works as a therapist and makes ~$45,000 per year. Now that they are...

Divorce and Disabled [ 2 Answers ]

Ok.. can't find this anywhere on your site. My husband and I live in upstate NY. He has decided he wants a divorce. This is after I have lived with his cheating throughout our 30 year marriage because of our kids. Since our kids have moved on.. we have stayed together due to the grand kids. Yes.. I...

View more questions Search