Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kikirox28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 09:06 AM
    How much time can you get for filing 2 false police reports in PA?
    My ex was drunk and he called the cops at 1am stating I came over his house and punched him. At 3:30 am he called them back saying that I cut him with a knife. I have an alibi for these times. I also live over an hour away with 2 children. The officer who went out did not fully believe him and when I woke up the next morning I had a voicemail so I called the officer back and he explained the situation stating he did not believe my ex. He asked me and my alibi to come to the station and file my written statement, which we did. We now have the arraignment to go to this Thursday and I would like to know what to expect. Please keep in mind my ex has a LENGTHY criminal history and is an alcoholic and drug abuser (marijuana and pain killers/muscle relaxers) who on the day he called the police on me was looking through his brothers Facebook to my profile and became enraged when seeing pics of me with my new love... then texting and harassing me all day because he "ran into" someone who told him I was cheating for all of our relationship.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 09:15 AM

Hi Kikirox, I don't know how this all applies to PA but this information is from website EHow and is a general view of what happens, and how you handle the situation:

When A False Police Report Is Filed
    Penalties for filing a false police report vary by state and by the type of crime described in the report. In some cases, the filer is only in danger of being charged with a crime if the local police and prosecutor decide to pursue the case and it is later discovered that the report was false. Some states have stricter laws and stiffer penalties, and false filers can be charged with either a misdemeanor or a felony. New York, for example, has three different statutes for filing a false police report.

What Happens To The Accused Person
    Being the victim of a false police report could have serious and damaging consequences. Even if the filer confesses, the charges against the person may not be dropped immediately. If a false police report is filed against you, the best thing to do is to hire an attorney as soon as possible to represent you. Your attorney will be able to help you sort through the legal options and offer the expert advice you need.

If You Have Filed A False Police Report
    The best thing to do in this situation depends on the circumstances and on the advice of your attorney. It may be best to simply tell the prosecution you have no interest in pursuing a case against the person you have filed the report against. Before you file a false police report against someone out of anger, think twice: there could be serious consequences for you and for the person who will be falsely accused.

I hope this helps.

Ms tick
    kikirox28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Thank you for your quick response! At the arraignment on Thursday I am required to be a witness to the Commonwealth of PA, so I was told by the arresting officer that this case cannot be dropped against him nor can he drop his charges. I don't know if he's pleading guilty or not. The only fear I have is that his family knows the judge very well (childhood buddies) and last September he hit his mom, she needed stitches to her head and she got a PFA but he only got a harassment charge and a $25 fine from this judge?? I am hoping he gets jail time as I have had many problems with my ex and he has been in and out of trouble since his early teens; he cannot get the concept of being a functional human being! The police do not believe him so I do not feel I need a lawyer at this time. I have looked at many sites and the only thing on the internet that I can find is that he faces 1 to 2 yrs in jail for the 2 counts of false reports and up to a $5000 fine... I hope its true.
    nadyie98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
    But what if the person decided not to pursue the charges because there was an agreement between the person making the charge and the person who was charged? Are they still forced to pursue case? I don't find any sense in it. If they came to a mutual agreement out of court, why the police forces the person filing the charge to pursue the case and if not they will be charged $400 fine and charged with filing a false report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to handle false reports to CPS [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what to do when people are making false reports to CPS? Is there anything that I can do to stop this? Is there any kind of legal action that I can take towards this person for slander or anything?:confused: :eek: :mad:

Police charge reports [ 3 Answers ]

I live in baltimore md, I'm involved in a joint custody case concerning my child, recently found out that mother was charged with assault second degree, assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to injure from fighting with some dude, she also placed charges on him in return second degree...

How can I obtain police reports for a specific address from another state? [ 4 Answers ]

Any information that anyone could give me at this point would be helpful and very appreciated. I would like to obtain police and complaint reports from Maryland. In 2006, I was involved in a domestic abuse report along with my mother in law. I would like to know how I can obtain that report as...

False reports to police regarding tenant verbal argument [ 1 Answers ]

We have new tenants above us. They are constantly complaining and there have been more problems reported to the landlord in all the years I've lived there. I have lived in the building for 4 years and have never had a problem with any other tenants. We had an argument in one of the common areas of...

Filing false charges on someone [ 5 Answers ]

What can I do about someone filing false charges on me? My ex has filed 11 false afidavits on me, each time it cost me $150. To bail out. He never shows up at court so its always dismissed. The judge keeps letting him do this even knowing he's not going to show up at court he never does. Can...

View more questions Search