Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgourley Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
    Can I get married without my federal probation officers approval
    I am on federal probation and I would like to get married. The guy I want to marry is a convicted felon. I am not supposed to associate with anyone who has a criminal history. Is there a way to do this without getting introuble with my probation officer?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 08:55 AM

Yes. Get your probation officer's permission. (This has been posted before and the person was unable to get permission.)

If you can't get permission, go off probation by serving the sentence. Have an Attorney make the arrangements so that you can marry the felon when you get out.

Marry without permission and you may very well end up in jail.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jgourley View Post
    Is there a way to do this without getting in trouble with my probation officer?
    Hello j:

No.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 12:31 PM

And of course you have to even get permission to date or see him, So you are going to have to go in and report that you have violated your probation by dating him and now you want permission to marry them
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And of course you have to even get permission to date or see him, So you are going to have to go in and report that you have violated your probation by dating him and now you want permission to marry them

Great catch - I can't BELIEVE I missed that part of the post! Yes, she's already in violation...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do probation officers have the right to tell you [ 9 Answers ]

OK well I'm currently on probation and I'm 14. I have only like two weeks left and I've been staying out of trouble. She found out that I am going out with an 18 year old we haven't had sex and she says that I can't talk to him. I love him with all my heart. He looked up the statutory rape laws...

Probation officers opionion [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you for your support. The probation officer and the judge know that he is on Methadone treatment. They did want a medical note from his doctor, he will get that for next Friday, What I need to know is should he have a public defender with him at all times? And can the probation officer place...

View more questions Search