Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Furnace turns off and on too quickly
    Please help. I installed a new programmable thermostat (Noma) to replace the old noma one we had.
    It heats when asked and it cools when asked. The problem is that if the thermostat is set to 18.5 the furnace goes on as soon as it goes 18.3 and stops at 18.8, which maintains the house at the requested 18.5.
    My husband seems to think that this consumes more oil than if it had a wider range because the furnace goes on only for a few minutes then stops but because it's winter it does that constantly.
    Please let me know if he's right (I'll never tell!) or if I can finally get him to stop complaining about the new thermostat.

Lynda Davis
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lynway
    Please help. I installed a new programmable thermostat (Noma) to replace the old noma one we had.
    It heats when asked and it cools when asked. The problem is that if the thermostat is set to 18.5 the furnace goes on as soon as it goes 18.3 and stops at 18.8, which maintains the house at the requested 18.5.
    My husband seems to think that this consumes more oil than if it had a wider range because the furnace goes on only for a few minutes then stops but because it's winter it does that constantly.
    Please let me know if he's right (I'll never tell!) or if I can finally get him to stop complaining about the new thermostat.

Lynda Davis
    Usually there are other settings that control how fast the furnace responds to a signal to turn on. Read the literature in depth and look on the manufactures website for more info.
    lynway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwptsailor
    usually there are other settings that control how fast the furnace responds to a signal to turn on. Read the literature in depth and look on the manufactures website for more info.
    I can't find the booklet that came with the darn thing and I really can't find the manufacturer's website. It's a NOMA Programmable 5+1+1 Thermostat bought at Canadian Tire. If anyone knows the Noma website address I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Before you do anything else , look at the location of the thermostat. The unit should be isolated , so to speak , from the heating elements , be it radiator or air duct , whatever.
    The thermostat should be able to get an average reading of the room without being directly influenced by heat supply. A thermostat too close will turn off and on too rapidly.
    Step back , look and think , is it's location appropriate ?

Jan 25, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Also , it will probably be easier to look on the manufacturers plate of your boiler/furnace/heating device , get their name and research and then call them. Ask for a thermostat reference and advise them you want to reduce cycling. You may have cycling choices at the heat generator( I'd trash the Noma & get a much better control unit )
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 07:45 PM
    It sounds normal to me. If I'm looking at this right ? Its almost 1 degree change before on or off. I call that good. Doing what it should. Run time and off time can be adjusted by the heat anticipator on the thermostat.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Your husband is correct, the more a furnace short cycles the more inefficient it is. This is because each cycle heats up the furnace before it starts blowing that heat into the home. Sorry I can't help you with the thermostat, but most of them will allow you to change the CPH cycles per hour, or temperature differential.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace only turns on by manual switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Im not an HVAC person, but hope to be armed with a little information before calling a professional and not getting charged for any unnecessary charges. I have a Bryant gas furnace (forced air) that is five years old. I have an electronic/digital thermostat (Honeywell) that controls...

Fan will not turn off after Furnace turns off [ 1 Answers ]

The fan or hair handler on my home furnace will not turn off after the furnace has shut off?

Gas furnace fan turns on but nothing comes out [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my gas furnace, the pilot light comes on, but goes off afer a couple of minutes after having produced nothing. When I turn on the manual fan, it starts up, but no air comes out. Any ideas? Thanks

Knocking in furnace when AC turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My AC is cooling OK, after I spent $250 last week having a new blower motor put in the furnace unit, but it continues to make a "knocking" sounds for a minute or two after the fan shuts off. It's so loud it wakes me up, which is why I'm posting at 5:20 A.M.; I also noticed that the line is icing up.

Furnace blower turns on and off [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace comes on and heats properly. After it turns off the blower kicks on and off several times more times.

View more questions Search