Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kantik.sarkar Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:37 AM
    Is spouse SSN/ITIN required for filing tax as "Married but Filing Seperately"
    Hi,
    I am a citizen of India.
    In 2010, I worked in US on H1B from 01-Jan-2010 until 01-Apr-2010.Effective 02-Apr-2010 I moved out of US.
    On 31-JAN-2010 I got married but my spouse(citizen and resident of India)never travelled to US even though she had an approved dependent VISA.
    Saying this , my spouse does not have SSN or ITIN.

Can I File my 2010 tax return as "Married but filing seperately" without my spouse`s SSN/ITIN?
    If an ITIN is mandatory , then please let me know which firm can help me out with this , as am currently in India and don't have plans of going back to US any soon.Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 04:07 PM
    If you file as a dual-status alien, you would pay taxes to the U.S. ONLY on income earned in the U.S. while under the H-1B visa. You could NOT in any way claim your wife on this dual-status return because she was NEVER in the U.S. Further, you could NOT claim the standard deduction.

You CAN file as resident for all of 2010, and you be able to claim the standard deduction. However, you would also have to claim ALL world-wide income, but you could also claim the Foreign Tax Credit for taxes paid to India on any income earned after 1 April 2010.

On THAT return, you have a choice:

- You can file Married Filing Separately AND claim your wife's personal exemption. No ITIN is required; you merely MAIL the return (efiling is NOT possible), insert your wife's name on the Form 1040 or 1040A and insert "non-resident alien) where her SSN would go. You would pay taxes on ALL world-wide income JUST FOR YOU; you would NOT report your wife's income at all.

OR

- You can file jointly. That requires you BOTH claim ALL world-wide income (again, you can file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit and your wife can file Form 2555 to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). Filing jointly requires she request an ITIN by submitting a Form W-7 with the return.

If you need professional help doing this, email me at [email protected].
    kantik.sarkar Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, thanks for your advice.To further provide information on my current status , was working in US since 2008 and have paid my 2008, 2009 taxes.Can I still qualify for first option mentioned by you.Also my spouse is a homemaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse on L2 visa not working, do I required SSN for Tax filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 visa. My wife and daughter are living with me. Both are having L2 visa. My wife is not working. I have question about tax filing. While tax filing which filing status I need to select. Also, I don't have SSN for either. When I start filing online, it ask me SSN of my wife....

Is spouse SSN required for married status filing? [ 2 Answers ]

I was in atlanta for 4 months on L1 visa. My wife joined me after 3 months on L2 visa.I have social security number but my wife did not applied for it. Question : Do I need my wife's SSN for filing my tax returns in married status ?

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Married Filing Jointly but spouse doesn't have SSN , She has ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , Am trying to file my 2007 tax returns online through Turbo tax and I intend to efile. Now am filing as " Married Filing Jointly". Since my wife is on an H4 Dependent visa, she can't get a SSN . She has her ITIN though. Now the site doesn't allow me to file my taxes without her SSN. Please...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search