Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Davehonda Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 01:15 PM
    93 Honda Accord will crank but won't start any suggestions?
    I have a 93 honda accord that won't start. I changed the ignition coil last year so I doubt it's that. I just changed dist cap, icm, wires, plugs, and had the battery checked and it's good. Timing belt and water pump was changed almost 30,000 miles ago. The strange thing the day before it wouldn't start it rain really hard while I was driving, but no problems occurred. I noticed before if I raise the hood while its raining like to give someone a jump and turn the car off it acts like it doesn't want to start. I also have a little water on my passenger side floor board. Do you think my ecm somehow got wet?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 01:24 PM

Does the CEL come on and go off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II)? If it does, the problem may be with your distributor housing--one or more internal sensors (CKP, TDC, or CYP) may have been damaged. Only install a genuine Honda distributor housing. It's fine to install your existing ICM and coil in the new housing.

Jumping other cars is fraught with risk. It's better to help them remove the battery and get it charged/replaced. A voltage spike can easily toast your ECM, alternator, and various sensors.

Jan 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the reply no it stays on. I re-soldered the joints on the main relay already as well. I use jump packs now I found that out the hard way last year. But if the hood is raised during rain it's hard to start cranks and cranks and finally catches.

Jan 1, 2011, 01:48 PM
    Oops sorry replied in the wrong spot, but I don't have a multimeter but I could go buy one if necessary. I just don't want to deal with Midas they charge me 400 bucks every time I take it in there for anything which is not too often but still.

It stays on and I'm going to pick up a multimeter now
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 03:23 PM

Since the CEL stays on, I suspect the ECM is bad. Therefore:

. Perform The K-Test on the ECM. Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it’s probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate. Many Hondas parked for several years are now back on the road. "The K-Test creates massive value, by providing a low cost solution where one did not previously exist."--TxGM

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Jan 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Please forgive my ignorance as this is my first time using a multimeter. What set do I set it to there is a circular dial a black and red wire and three holes on this thing and it is digital.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 03:38 PM

Set it to DCV.

Jan 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Ok thank you it's too dark out now but I'll check tomorrow morning and let you know.

Jan 2, 2011, 09:54 AM
    OK I checked with the directions you provided. Basically red probe on the right connecting pin of the MAP sensor and black probe on a ground and It read 3.6 volts.

OK I checked with the directions you provided. Basically red probe on the right connecting pin of the MAP sensor and black probe on a ground and It read 3.6 volts.

Funny thing though I pulled both the ecm fuses left them out for a couple of minutes put back in and the car started and ran for 30 minutes though the engine light was on. I turned the car off and started it back up ran fine.

I did it one more time so I could run the car up to the auto parts store to get them to check the engine light code and it wouldn't start again. This was all before I did the K-test.

I took the ecm cover off and notices there was a submerged water mark on the outside of it I looked in side the ecm it was still a little moisture on some of the parts. I did vac about a gallon of water off the floorboard on the pass side.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2011, 12:50 PM

You are experiencing intermittent ECM failure, which is very common on older Hondas. The K-Test results clearly indicate the ECM is failing and is no longer reliable. You need to buy an exact Honda Part No. match. Shop for price and warranty.

This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235038

Jan 2, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Whoa you know your stuff! You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a reliable refurbed one with a warranty from a reputable company(non ebay) do you.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 08:06 AM

Try O'Reilly Auto Parts. They used to offer Cardone remanufactured ECMs, with a lifetime warranty.

Jan 3, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Do you think the ecm relay could be bad as well?
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 06:49 PM

No.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.

1998 honda accord no crank, no start [ 1 Answers ]

1998 honda accord no crank , no start

Has fuel has spark Crank no start 92 honda accord [ 4 Answers ]

Replaced fuel filter checked fuel pressure, compression, even replaced ignition switch car has good strong spark at all cylinders, checked the TPS senser with a DVOM all is good. Has fuel spark compression cranks but no start...

1992 Honda Accord Crank/No Start [ 5 Answers ]

92 Accord, Cranking but not starting. Fuel pressure is good, No spark. Distributor, Cap, rotor, ignitor and coil all good. Main Relay good. Fuses all good. ECU problem?

View more questions Search