Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ganewton4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Basement floor drain backs up
    We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran a camera through the drain. We have a clay pipe that is coming apart at a seam from the other somewhere in our front yard. We know eventually we will have to have it replaced.
    So for about 2 weeks everything was fine, now there is water coming up again in the basement floor drain and about a cup of water comes out of the clean out trap where he got the roots. It only happens after running the washer (not the shower) and drains right back out of the floor drain with a loud gurguling sound. My husband cut the bottom of a bucket out and siliconed it to the floor to keep any water in the bucket and not on the floor.

My first question is: Is $4000-5000 a lot to have about 50 feet of sewer line replaced in our yard? (We think the plumber WAY over charged and overestimated us)

My second question is : Why was it OK for a couple of weeks then started happening again but this time only with the washer?

3rd question: Could one of the roof vents be blocked causing the gurgling noise?
    ANY HELP greatly appriciated! This is our first house and between the plumber and car problems we are going insane and broke fast!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ganewton4
    We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran a camera through the drain. We have a clay pipe that is coming apart at a seam from the other somewhere in our front yard. We know eventually we will have to have it replaced.
    So for about 2 weeks everything was fine, now there is water coming up again in the basement floor drain and about a cup of water comes out of the clean out trap where he got the roots. It only happens after running the washer (not the shower) and drains right back out of the floor drain with a loud gurguling sound. My husband cut the bottom of a bucket out and siliconed it to the floor to keep any water in the bucket and not on the floor.

My first question is: Is $4000-5000 a lot to have about 50 feet of sewer line replaced in our yard? (We think the plumber WAY over charged and overestimated us)

My second question is : Why was it ok for a couple of weeks then started happening again but this time only with the washer?

3rd question: Could one of the roof vents be blocked causing the gurgling noise?
    ANY HELP greatly appriciated! This is our first house and between the plumber and car problems we are going insane and broke fast!!
    You still have a partial clog of roots that the snake failed to clear. You get a larger volume of discharge under more pressure with a washer then by just taking a shower. The partial clog in your line won't handle the extra volume your washer puts out while a slower moving sink or shower discharge gets by.
    Let's get you out from underneath the immediate problem first. For immediate relief and to kill the existing roots and prevent further growth you can purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC. Good luck, Tom
    jstroeve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 05:28 PM
    A 2010 question follow-up... will copper sulphate through the toilet flush out "normal" clogs or slow floor drains, or is there a cautionary clause that I need to heed to? My basement floor drain (washer discharge) is slow and now flooding my basement, but will the chemical through the toilet reach the effected areas in the sewer line? I'm a little wary of harsh chemicals in my 1924 house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2010, 06:49 AM

will copper sulphate through the toilet flush out "normal" clogs or slow floor drains,
    Copper Sulfate IS NOT a drain cleaner. It kills roots.
    will the chemical through the toilet reach the effected areas in the sewer line? I'm a little wary of harsh chemicals
    You're looking for a easy way to clear a blockage. I NEVER recommend putting harsh chemicals in your drainage system.
    my basement floor drain (washer discharge) is slow and now flooding my basement,
    You have a partial blockage downstream from the floor drain that must be snaked and cleared.
    You may snake from the floor drain or from the washer roof vent. If you snake from the roof put out enough snake to reach the base and 18u feet more. Good luck, Tom
    wingfielddave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
    My floor drain over flows when I use the washer. I ran a snake through the floor drain, through the washer drain, and through the main line. Do I need to run the snake through the vent pipe on the roof?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:13 PM

Hi wingfielddave...

I always prefer a straight shot compared to snaking through a PTRAP... ;)

If you can gain access to the washing machine vent and snake down that I think you will have a better chance at clearing the drain line well.

If the vent is not easily accessed then maybe you could cut a cleanout into the vent and then snake the drain line... maybe?

In my opinion, snaking through a PTRAP (floor drain in this case) is just asking for trouble as you can only fit a small snake around the U shaped bend and if you end up snagging anything you may not be able to remove it through the PTRAP, so snaking through the vent pipe is always preferred, if possible.

If you want to discuss more, let me know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A way to put a drain in a basement cement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Speedball has helped me before so maybe he or someone else can advise me now. I will need to move a drain (that is already cemented in a basement floor) about 3 feet. The way I was told by a plumber is to use a concrete saw. I do not want the mess a concrete saw will create so I thought of...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! We recently purchased our first home built in 1956. We have had a couple of plumbing issues arise so far. First, the kitchen sink wouldn't drain. We took all the pipes off the wall (there was nothing in the trap) and ran the roto rooter thing (no plumbing experience obviously! ) down. It...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Basement Floor Drain Question [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of moving my current floor drain to the other side of a framed wall I just built to keep it in the same room as my hot water heater (per code) The current one will be sealed off. I can tap into the same line as it will be closer to the gray water crock. My question is, When I do...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

View more questions Search