Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mholloran Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Fishy smell from hot water?
    My hot water has a fish smell to it. The smell is like cod liver oil. It only effects my Kitchen and Laundry water, my bathrooms (upstairs and down) do not seem to be effected. What could cause this odour and how do I get rid of it? The dishes coming out of my dishwasher have this odour attached to them and if I wash clothes in warm or hot water they smell this way. Please help
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:01 PM

Hi Mholloran:

I have a few questions to help me "flush" this out, OK? Please answer all of them...

Fish smell or more of a sulpherish smell..

Are you on well water or city/town water?

Do you have a water heater and if so is it gas or electric? Also, about how old is the water heater, if present?

Finally, do you have a water softener?

Back to you...

Mark
    mholloran Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
    It is a fish smell - like cod liver oil.

We are on city water

Electric water heater, a few years old (I bought the place a year ago) and no I don't have a water softener

Thank you for any help
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2010, 02:44 PM

mholloran, not sure about the fishy smell, but if you haven't flushed the water heater lately, wouldn't hurt to do it now, Just might clear the air. Good luck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 08:17 PM

Flushing the water heater is a great place to start. Here, attach a hose to the drain at the bottom of the water heater and just open the drain and flush for 10-15 minutes with water in full open. After the flush, close the drain and then clear the hot water lines at the faucets/valves. You may need to remove the faucet aerators, the washing machine hose screens and the shower heads if some of the loosened sediment gets up into the pipes, OK?

If that doesn't resolve the issue then pop back and we can discuss the ANODE ROD. It could be that the water is reacting with the magnesium anode rod and creating a smelly byproduct... maybe?

Glad to discuss more...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy smell in my water (well) [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought a home with a well. There is a "cullagan estate 2 automatic water conditioner" connected to it. I have no idea what kind of salt is in it but it is about 1/3 full. My well water smells like fish. It is VERY noticeable in the shower. I have read about sulphr and Iron smell. How do...

Hot water with fishy smell [ 2 Answers ]

We are on a rural water system. Hot water is very fishy smelling. We use an electric tank water heater. Any solutions?

Fishy smell [ 11 Answers ]

The other day my boyfriends penis smelt of fish, needless to say, I stopped touching it, is that normal?

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a horrible fishy smell coming from the downstairs vent. I have two air-conditioning units. One that runs the upstairs and one that runs the downstairs. The units themselves are outside. I have had someone come and take a look at the units. The gentlemen took a look in the attic and stated...

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

My female great dane seems to have a strong fishy odor every time she licks/cleans between her legs. Is something wrong or is there a remedy for this? She is almost 15 months old, and has just gone through her second heat cycle a few weeks ago. Thanks.

View more questions Search