Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knorth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Exhaust Pipes for High Efficiency Furnaces
    Does the exhaust termination on a high efficiency furnace need to be at a 90 degree on the exterior of the house? I recently had both the intake and exhaust pipes replaced. The intake on the exterior is on a 90 degree angle pointing down, the exhaust pipe on the exterior has a straight termination - extending about 10-12 inches from the house. Should this exhaust be at a 90 degree angle pointing up?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
    I wouldn't point it up, you may get rain and debris in them. Many of the units I have seen, my house in particular, the two pipes exit straight and then have 45 degree ells set 90 degrees apart. Make sure to put small galvanized screens over the ends, I had a terrible time with hornets building a nest and blocking the intake.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 23, 2010, 02:14 PM
    I'm not a heating expert. I just know that people have died from high efficiency furnace flues releasing such cool air that it sinks back into the house, bring CO with it. I would guess that pointing up would not be good, since it takes warm air to rise.
    knorth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    The intake is pointing down using a 90 degree elbow. Do you think the exhaust pointing straight out - (extending a few inches beyond the intake) - is okay? Thanks!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 05:15 PM

Yes, it is just fine. However, it wouldn't hurt to look in the install instruction book and see exactly what it says for terminations. There are usually a variety of ways to terminate, but having the 90 down on the exhaust and the intake straight out will not create a problem, unless they are so close together that the intake is sucking in the exhaust.
    Definatley do not turn a 90 upwards on either.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Put a 45 degree elbow on the exhaust and point it away from the intake. I wish I was more literate in putting in a design. Hope we have been helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ultra High Efficiency Water Heater - Exhaust Condensate Drain - What to do? [ 18 Answers ]

I want to install an ultra-high efficiency water heater (98%+ efficient). The exhaust runs cool enough that the combustion product water vapor condenses in the exhaust line and needs to be drained. My plumber told me that it was impossible to install this heater, because there is no floor drain....

Trane high efficiency furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We are thinking of replacing our furnace with a high efficiency one. Ihe brand we are considering are Rheem, coleman and Trane, however, would like some feed back which brand has the best value, reliability and performance.

Briant high efficiency furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Briant high efficiency furnace i.e Air tight burner compartment, inducer motor And exhaust and intake air from side of house etc. I had similar problems with my gas furnace. I was able to solve the intermittent Problem of the furnace not coming on every time the thermostat called for...

Exhaust on high efficiency furance [ 7 Answers ]

A year ago I had my old furnace (a York) replaced with a lennox 95% efficient furnace. The exhaust from the new furnace exits the side of the house, and the furnace heats up the house fine. However, I also see some exhaust coming out from the old exhaust on top of the house. Should I still have...

View more questions Search