Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hismommy10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
    If I file for child support does that give the father rights to the child?
    I want to file for child support, but do not want the father to have too many rights. The child has my last name. Will he gain rights if I file for child support?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:33 PM

He can request visitation. He has to pay child support if it IS his child.
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 10, 2010, 06:55 PM
    My mother and father got divorced when I was 2. She won custody and he was forced to pay child support, but still did not get any more "rights" to us.

It's really according to the situation. The court isn't going to keep children from the father if they feel the father is capable and supportive.

I do not think that the father will have more rights because he has to pay child support (it's kind of his responsibility in the first place)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2010, 07:04 PM

A father has rights because he's the father. He has no more or less rights unless a court takes them away or grants them. The only difference is that, sometimes a father has to fight harder for his rights than a mother does,

If you file for support he can file for custody, visitation etc. What he will get will depend on locale and circumstances. Without knowing more about the situation we can't be more specific.

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. If you provide more details we can provide more advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 09:27 PM

You filing child support gives him no extra rights,

He already has all the same rights now, as he would if you filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father to give up rights to avoid child support [ 11 Answers ]

My ex-husband works overseas by choice. He has decided that because he doesn't have much interaction with our 14-year-old son, he will file papers citing alienation and wants to cut ties and not pay child support anymore. He makes no attempt to call our son and a mild attempt at email. We have...

Father wants to give up rights to avoid deliquent child support [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father wants to give up his parental rights in order to avoid paying child support both past and present. My son does not want my husaband (his stepfater) to adopt him. If he give up rights will he get out of his financial obligation and do I have any input in the matter? I live in South...

View more questions Search