Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schooch10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Want to marry woman in ghana
    I have been talking to a woman in ghana for 2 months now and we are serious about each other. We want to get married but her uncle said he want a traditional wedding but I don't have to be there it just a ceremony they do and than we can get marriage license and get married and I don't have to go there ,se will come to me on airplane. We have been sending pics and video back an forth and talking on the phone. Can someone tell me if this is true or is she trying to scam me
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 11:33 AM

It's a scam.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 12:21 PM

I'd tread very carefully on this. I agree with Wondergirl, and would error on the side of caution and consider it a scam. I would think that if her "uncle" is so concerned about following tradition, that a big part of that would be to have the groom present.

Are you in the US? If so, even if you went through with this ceremony, she would not be able to just come over so that you can get married. The process of bringing someone to the US for marriage is long, expensive, and will require more than just phone calls and pics to document that it is a legitimate relationship.

Personally, I'd hold off. If you two really do care for each other, at the very least you should plan for a trip to be able to meet in person and spend some time together before marriage is even considered.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2010, 12:39 PM

99% chance it's a scam. It will become 100% as soon as they ask you to send some money.

Dec 5, 2010, 05:01 PM
    I have a friend in ghana
    I've been talking to this woman for 2 month and I want her to come to the united states .she said all she has to do is renew her passport and it costs 450.00 and asked me to send money . I want to know before I send money can she come here. And maybe get married later
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 05:18 PM

Sorry, schooch, but this is a scam. Don't send her any money, you won't see her or your money back.

Tick

Dec 5, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 08:36 PM

You will want to be there, so make plans on going there, If it is real, they will not care.

Has anyone even started, the US visa for new spouse to move to the US.

And how much money are they asking you to send at this point ?

Posts merged, please only one thread per question.

No disrespect, they must feel you are poor, to only ask for less than 500 to start with. But sorry a passport will be less than 100 dollars.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 10:53 PM
    You cannot realistically marry a stranger; this person you have never met is a stranger. It does not matter that you spend hours on the computer- until you meet in person, either you going there, or her coming to where you are (at HER expense), you can be certain that this is, indeed a scam. Don't fall for it!!

You are most likely being groomed, set up, duped, lied to, deceived, and manipulated.

Bottom line of such a common scam is, money. That would be your money, going out to her.

Why not test her.

The next time you are talking to her, tell her that your mother (or any close relative or friend) is in hospital, and you needed to send $4600 for an emergency operation. Let's say, appendix. You had to borrow against your home (car, retirement savings, whatever) in order to pay this bill. After this relative returns home, you will need to hire a nurse 3 times a week, at $100 each time.

As her if SHE can send money to help you out. My guess is you will be blocked, and you will never hear from her again.

Test her and find out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 01:23 AM

I agree with everyone else. This is a scam, and a very common one at that, and mostly from women in Ghana. Check out other threads on this site, we have a lot of people coming here asking about these exact scams.

As soon as this woman gets all the money she can out of you, you'll never speak to her again. You won't be able to find her, she'll disappear.

She'll start small, $450 for a passport, then a few more hundred dollars for papers to get to the US, the money for a plane ticket, etc. etc. You'll never see this woman. She just wants your money.

I know you're wondering why she sounds so loving in her emails, and sends photos etc. Well of course she does. She has to make you love her so you'll send the money. It's all lies.

Count yourself lucky, you figured it out before you were scammed. If you want to confirm the scam, do as Jake suggested, turn the tables, tell her that you're broke, you have bills, and since you two are in love and wanting to get married, can she send you money. Watch her disappear after that.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 04:02 AM

I've gone through the process of bringing someone to the US to get married. She can not just come over and marry you. As said before, the process takes time and you would need documentation to show that you have built a legitimate relationship.

IF someone legally married outside the US, their spouse comes over on a marriage visa. IF they are not yet married, they come over on a fiancée visa and have to marry within 90 days of arrival. It takes time, visits to embassies, background checks, expense in US fees, plenty of paperwork, interviews, etc.. There are many hoops to jump through with either process.

Do not send any money for a passport! I would end all contact with her. Ghana Passports
    obieone Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2011, 02:00 PM
    I have gone through the process from A-Z with a woman from Morocco. I even hired an attorney that handles international visa paperwork. I would suggest visiting at least twice to her country. If the first time works out and you and her still have feelings toward each other, fine. Save every little receipt for expenses paid on greeting cards, postage stamps for letters. Oh yes, the two of you should send lots of letters and greeting cards through the postal service, not emailed greeting cards. You must overwhelmingly show the embassy that you two are "truly" in love. Take several hundred pictures while you are over there. I would spend at least two weeks over visiting her each time you visit. I know a guy who made three trips to Ukraine, to visit a woman he liked. Believe me, you will be looked at through a microscope by immigration. Ie... financially, professionally. It is a very long process, as the other comments say. Get all your "ducks" in a row. Ask lots of questions. Your possible wife will be DRILLED at the immigration interview about what she knows about you. My ex girlfriend made it all the way to the interview, but was denied a k 1 visa, because the immigration interviewer believed that she didn't really love me. Believe me, these interviewers have a Masters degree in psychology, and are trained like border patrol agents and special agents to find out the underlying truth.

Enough said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much money for passport from ghana want to marry a girle from there [ 15 Answers ]

I have a girl in Accra Ghana want to marrie her. Want to know how much it cost for her passport and visa wich ever she will need including blood test and police report I am working with little money. Thank you very much for your time and help.

How can I marry a woman from iran? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in love with this girl from iran... yeah I know a hostile country.. I don't care I love her.. I need advice where to go where to look... to marry her... we have been talking and seeing each other over six months now... I had been married once before for ten years... I know this is love with...

Breaking up with the woman I want to marry... [ 9 Answers ]

We broke up a few weeks ago and I haven't felt worse. She immediately started seeing one of her friends from elementary school who she hasn’t seen really since then. This was within 24 hours! They are dating now and she really likes this guy. He seems like a good guy from what our mutual...

View more questions Search