Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewJersey8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Consistent Popping-Banging Noise in winter.
    I hope someone can answer this. I moved into my condo this spring, and this noise just started once the weather started getting cold and I presumed it was related to the heat. Not mine, but perhaps from the unit above me. It did not occur all summer or while using the AC. The noise sounds like a popping or banging in the ceiling and is fairly consistent during the night, which actually prevents sleeping. I have read some things, but not sure what it is or what I can do. Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
    It could be 2 things, expansion and contraction of the hot water pipes or expansion and contraction of the supply ductwork for HVAC. Might be a more difficult issue to solve considering condo's and their owners associations. I would start there and see where it goes. Does it occur in only 1 or 2 places? If so, it is very likely a metal duct, with gas, oil or heat pumps and piping if hot water systems. These items expand when heat comes on and contract when the heat goes off and transfers the noise to the joists. Regular water pipes will also make this type noise but it is usually limited to immediate water usage and not when water is not being used. Good luck and hope for a quiet nights sleep.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2010, 05:02 PM

I agree with ma0641.
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    NewJersey8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 07:02 AM
    Thank you both, I have something to work with now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet banging noise [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get rid of the loud banging noise, after flushing the toilet?

Banging noise [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced a part in the shower and now get a banging noise

Loud Popping/Banging Sound Between First & Second Floor Apartment [ 3 Answers ]

I see in the archives several threads related to loud banging/popping noises generally coming from newer houses or buildings. I live on the second floor of a moderately aged 3 story apartment complex in Northern Virginia; it was built more than 10 years ago. My neighbor directly below insists...

Popping noise [ 2 Answers ]

My outsde unit making poping noise tripping inside breaker I have central heat and air a carrier unit electrian by trade could it be low on freon - split from faq thread -

Popping Noise [ 2 Answers ]

At The End Of The Heating Cycle On My Furnace I Hear A Popping Bang?

View more questions Search