Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassione Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 08:14 AM
    Voltage still there after breaker turned off
    I have electric running to my barn that has been in place for 5 years with no issues. This year when we plugged in the tank heaters the horses are getting shocked. I tried disconnecting all other circuits and tested with just that one circuit and it is showing 3.5 volts in the water. It's there even if the breaker is turned off and the heater is in the tank. Disconnected the black wire in the garage panel and with the main breaker in the garage panel turned off, I get the 3.5 volts when testing between the neutral bar and the black wire. Turned off the circuit in the main panel in the house going to the garage and again, still getting voltage coming through. Any suggestions??
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 08:25 AM

Have you replaced any copper plumbing with PVC in the barn recently?

If you did, then bond a copper jumper wire across the PVC to reconnect the grounding system.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Do you have an electric fence nearby? Possibly getting some shocks from the condenser through a ground in the water? The water tank should ground itself if it is metal.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Here is some light reading on the issue:

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...stray_volt.pdf

You need to look for the problem at the source, I will assume the horse barn is fed by home.
    Wilso38 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 01:15 AM
    Without any further information, does sound like a grounding problem.
    feroluce Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Dec 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
    3.5v between the disconnected neutral wire and the neutral bar?
    Have you tried measuring current between these?
    Getting voltage between the water and the heater without the breaker tripping points to an issue in the breaker area.

It could be as simple as a faulty breaker (they aren't always perfect). It could also be a wiring mistake, somebody got the live and neutral switched somewhere in the circuit (probably in the breaker box). This would take the breaker out of the equation altogether.
    You wouldn't ordinarily notice this as pumps and heaters aren't bothered about polarity.
    If you get current between the wire and the neutral bar, one of these is your problem.
    If you don't get current between them, the problem is isolated (electrically). In that case the only culprit has to be the heaters.
    Bear in mind that even after they are unplugged, they can exhibit a voltage for a time. The rule of thumb is 15 seconds, but I've seen heating coils in some circumstances hold voltage for up to five minutes.

In the mean time, you could use some aluminium foil, folded into a strip, one end in the water, the other with a nail through it into the ground to stop your horses getting shocked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I still have a large voltage at my light when its turned off? [ 11 Answers ]

I am a fully qualified electrician and I am currently doing a small wiring job in a 3phase farm house in France. I have wired a lighting and power circuit in a bedroom and when I I turned it live it all works fine,the sockets the 2-way switching etc. However when I put my volt tester on the ceiling...

Dim Lights when breaker is turned on? [ 3 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to find my heat had turned off. I went to my non-programmable thermostat to see that there was no power to this device. I pressed a few of the buttons and nothing happened. The screen would not light up at all. I then went to the main circuit breakers in the garage and...

Breaker for a/c keeps tripping when turned on [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the a/c the breaker in the breaker box keeps tripping

Still hot with breaker turned off [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper term for when you are working on a circuit that has the breaker turned off and you still get shocked. Is that called backfeeding a circuit? I was trying to do a search for causes. A friend of mine is working on some lighting. When he turned off the breaker the light went...

View more questions Search