Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadbmcmahon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
    1998 Honda Accord-How can I tell if its my fuel pump or ignition coil that has failed
    My Honda Accord has driven very well for me since I owned it. Until last week in the morning, I started it to go to work, pulled out of the driveway, and came to rest at a stop light and as soon as I tried to accelerate it sounded like it choked out, almost like it was flooding. It died and it took a couple minutes of trying to get it started again. After that it ran fine for a week straight up until this morning when I went to go to work and it just would not start at all.? It still does have power, and the starter is trying to work, but nothing else. This happened to me once before in my Dodge Dakota, and I thought it was my fuel pump but it turned out to be the ignition coil. So I was hoping someone knew how to check to see which one quit on me. Or even how to check one, to at least rule one out.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 08:29 PM

Perform the tests below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post229012

If the Check Engine Light comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then the problem is likely with the distributor. In this case, I usually recommend replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

I have never seen a bad Honda fuel pump--if you can hear it run, when you turn the ignition switch to ON, it is probably fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Accord Ignition coil replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you replace the ignition coil? If you just unhook the wires and everything else, taking out the bolts and then replacing it with the new ignition coil or if there is any extra things I need to do

1998 honda accord fuel pump relay [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I find the main relay on a 1998 Honda accord and is there any pictures that can help me

1998 Honda Accord will not start (I think it's the fuel pump) [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, about two weeks ago the car started sputtering while driving down the road. I got it back home and the next day it wouldn't start at all, but fires great. I replaced the main relay last year and still had the old one so I switched them out and the symptoms remain. I have been listening to the...

1998 honda accord fuel pump wire proplems [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 1998 honda accord and whoever owned it before me cut the posetive wire to the fule pump in the trunk and reconected it to a new wire that they ran to the ignition swicht. I heard that there was a short in the wire so how would I go about getting a new wire harness for the fuel pump...

View more questions Search