Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faith3610 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Can a parent lose custody of their child for moving in with a convicted felon?
    My ex the mother of my 9 mth old son is planning on moving out with a convicted felon. I'm not exactly sure what his charges are but I know one was possession, one was grand theft, and the other was running from the cops. And he was released 4 months ago. I know have every weekend with my son and she has primary. I just filed papers for a modification of custody because I want to spend more time with my son and I don't feel that my son is in a safe enviornement. He is living with my ex at her parents house now andThey smoke in the house, and there is also abuse between my ex's parents. I know her new boyfriend does stay at that house often but are now planning on moving out together with my son. Should I bring this up in court?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by faith3610 View Post
    Can a parent lose custody of their child for moving in with a convicted felon? ...Should i bring this up in court?
    Hello faith:

Nahhh. If he'd been convicted of child abuse or maybe something violent, you could... But, given what you said about him, he isn't a danger to the child. The other stuff doesn't sound like a great environment for him, either, but it isn't enough for them to lose custody.

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by faith3610 View Post
    My ex the mother of my 9 mth old son is planning on moving out with a convicted felon. I'm not exactly sure what his charges are but i kno one was possesion, one was grand theft, and the other was running from the cops. and he was released 4 mths ago. I know have every weekend with my son and she has primary. I just filed papers for a modification of custody because i want to spend more time with my son and i dont feel that my son is in a safe enviornement. He is living with my ex at her parents house now andThey smoke in the house, and there is also abuse between my ex's parents. I know her new bf does stay at that house often but are now planning on moving out together with my son. Should i bring this up in court?
    Define "they smoke in the house." If it's cigarettes, no one will care. If it's marijuana, then you might have a good shot.

Are you established as the legal father of the child? Are you listed on the birth certificate, did you take a court-ordered DNA test and/or did you sign a paternity acknowledgment?

Also, where are you located?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 04:31 PM

First and foremost the courts aren't going to listen to any "I think" statements. You will need facts. You should have those facts before going to court. From the sound of it your clueless at this point. You need to get up to speed before any accusations are thrown.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 08:17 PM

You will need to prove how this living arrangement will be a danger to your children. I mean you can bring it up, couples fight dirty in custody battles,

But what you need better is a lawyer who wll work for perhaps joint custody.
    dawnf007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Depends on what your agreement stipulates. My brother just received full custody after filing a contempt motion for her allowing my nephew to be at the boyfriends house (convicted felon) the smoking they don't care about when your kid gets asthma you know who to blame. My brothers ex would smoke in the car with my nephew and the windows were up she has a baby he is now 2 months old and she smokes in the same room. Disgrace, Go into the public court records and dig up the info on her boyfriend start compiling information on him keep detailed records of what your ex does and keep quite about it when the time is right this will pay off for you. I did all the back ground investigation for my brother and it finally paid off. She was told she is not so Teflon Don after all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mother who is a convicted felon get custody of her kids back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a convicted felon for bank fraud. I spent 21 months in federal prison. I have been on probation with no problems. I have 7 months left to go on my probation. I want to get custody back from my ex-husband. My fiancé is also a convicted felon (drug charges) 10 years ago. No violence. Do I...

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? Let me start by describing my background. I have convicted of failure to re-deliver leased/hire property. What happened was I was engaged two years ago and was renting furniture and other items from a rent to own store,...

Can I lose custody of my child for dating a felon? [ 4 Answers ]

If I were to date a man convicted of a felony, can the father of my child ( we have joint custody) try to take my parental rights away? This man that I am considering dating was charged with indecent liberties with a minor. He was not aware of the girls age at the time of the incident. Could this...

Can a convicted felon lose primary residence of their child? [ 2 Answers ]

I have received a summons for paternity and related relief. My child, (whose 2 yrs old) lives with me. I have been recently convicted of a felony:violent crime; which is petitioner's reason why it would be of best interest my child live with him ,I only would get visitations. Petitioner was the...

Future custody case for convicted felon dad [ 6 Answers ]

Someone I love very much will be released from prison soon. How, What, and Where are the questions I'm asking as far as finding him a good attorney in the state that his ex wife is now located along with his son. Obviously, its got to be in the jurisdiction that his son is in. Which websites are...

View more questions Search