Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abo321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Air Conditioner Fan runs when Heater is On
    Hello All
    I have two separate air conditioning units and two thermostats for 2 zones. The Air conditioner is from Trane and about 10yrs old. I have a problem on one of the units/zone.

When the thermostat is set to heat mode - and the heater turns on - The outside air conditioner unit fan also turns ON. Don't notice any issues inside. Hot air is blowing from the vents just fine. I don't experience this with the other zone and air conditioner unit. I also replaced the thermostat unit inside the house. The wiring to the thermostat is Red, Yellow, White, Green Wires.

No issues in summer - both air conditioners work just fine...

Any experts may know what the cause may be?

Thanks for all your help
    abo321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Update - Had a Heater Annual service completed and the technician identified that the Yellow and White wire had a short somewhere that was causing the A/C compressor to switch on when the Heater is switched on too. Used some other wire and issue got fixed.
    hvac1960 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Check zone control operating only one room while in heat mode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner not blowing cold air, inside fan runs, but outside unit does not. [ 2 Answers ]

Unit not blowing cold air. Fan runs. Outside unit does not.

Air conditioner air handler fan runs constantly [ 5 Answers ]

Heat pump, Trane, late 80's vintage. To me a very typical heat pump. Air handler fan runs constantly. Turn up the thermostat, fan runs. Remove thermostat, fan runs. Disconnect the breaker fan turns off (duh). Reconnect the breaker with the thermostat high (no demand) the fan runs but the...

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Air conditioner fan and heater fan do not work [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner will not come on. I check to see if the furnace fan would come on with the heat setting and it also does not work. I checked all the outside circuit breakers and took the yellow wire on the thermostat and touched it 2 minutes to the red wire, the AC motor did not start. I suspect...

Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display...

View more questions Search