Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Demonoid Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Problem with banging pipe(s) !
    I've got this problem in my house.

I live in a 41 year old townhouse, and whenever after I turn off hot water all of a sudden a pipe somewhere inside the walls starts to bang.
    It's not too long, but it's definitely annoying. I can't tell where exactly it is coming from, which pipe that is.

I cannot hear the sound from my basement, only from certain parts of the house. It continues for about 2-5 minutes after I turn off hot water; after shower, or flushing toilet or just after using a faucet. It seems that the noise starts when the water is going down the pipe.

This problem only occurs in the winter or when it's cold outside, never in the summer.

I've tried draining the pipes in the house, turning off the main hot+cold water supply and opening all the faucets that is; did not help.

I have no idea how to resolve/fix this issue.

I would really appreciate some help identifying the problem or giving some suggestions on how to fix it !

Thank you very much !
    feroluce Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Nov 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Yep, had that problem before. I thought it was an airlock too and drained everything.
    In my case it turned out to be a problem with the ballcock on the feeder tank.
    It was bouncing up and down, sending a pulse of water down the pipes.
    I replaced the float on the ballcock and the problem went away.

Apparently, this problem surfaces when the local pressure changes.
    You have a float for the old pressure, not the new one.
    Local pressure usually changes if there is new building work in your area, but it can also be seasonal.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2010, 07:26 AM

Interesting solution by feroluceb but not everybody has a "feed tank".
    More the likely your air chambers need recharging.
    "Water hammer" happens when you abruptly shut off the water. You have at least 40 pounds of pressure pushing the water flow. The weight of the water hitting a 90 degree bend causes the sound that you hear. We put in air chambers to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put air chambers on all bath lavatories and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will began to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Nov 29, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Are you sure it's not a plastic pipe which is rubbing against the woodstud when hot water is running ?

Nov 29, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Are you sure it's not a plastic pipe which is rubbing against the woodstud when hot water is running ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2010, 04:36 PM

You, Tom
    Let's explore that. It's called expansion and contraction.
    The noise is more like a tapping then a thud, so which is it? Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging hot water pipe [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn the hot water on/off in the shower it makes a very loud banging noise. How do I fix this?

How can I fix my banging pipe noise ? [ 6 Answers ]

How can I fix my banging pipe noise ? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The first plumber #1 that came over changed a backflow valve on the furnace. It made a small difference for a while, but then the knock came back. The second plumber #2...

Pipe Banging when Heat Comes On [ 2 Answers ]

Radiator Heating System, 1920's home with updated piping. Extremely loud banging ONLY when heat comes up. We've isolated the noise to just one side of the house - loud through 3 floors though. Understand it may be a pipe pitch issue, but don't know how to investigate. Had one plumber in who told...

Midnight pipe banging [ 2 Answers ]

I was awakened by pipe banging that sounded like a jackhammer going off. No water was running at the time. It has happened again once or twice already today. My kids are terrified. The water company says it's my problem. What should I do?

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search