Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsFortune Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Judgement against Social Security Disability Benefit?
    Hello, I am a new member. I hope some one can help me. I live in NYC. I am disabled, and my only source of income is my Social security disability check, which I receive by mail. I would like to get direct deposit of my check, but I recently had a judgement placed against me in Small Claims Court. I can not afford to pay it, because I will not be able to pay my rent or buy food and medicine. CIf I sign up for direct deposit of my check, can the person who sued me freeze my bank acccount?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post
    Hello, I am a new member. I hope some one can help me. I live in NYC. I am disabled, and my only source of income is my Social security disability check, which I receive by mail. I would like to get direct deposit of my check, but I recently had a judgement placed against me in Small Claims Court. I can not afford to pay it, because I will not be able to pay my rent or buy food and medicine. CIf I sign up for direct deposit of my check, can the person who sued me freeze my bank acccount?

The Judgment creditor may very well freeze your bank account and then it's up to you to get the funds released as sheltered funds, exempt funds.

I personally wouldn't do the direct deposit because I don't think the confusion and upset are worth the aggravation.
    MsFortune Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Thanks for the information JudyK Tee. I guess it makes sense to leave well-enough alone. It is just that sometimes the mail is slow. Sometimes bad weather interferes with delivery of my check or my ability to cash it.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post
    Thanks for the information JudyK Tee. I guess it makes sense to leave well-enough alone. It is just that sometimes the mail is slow. Sometimes bad weather interferes with delivery of my check or my ability to cash it.

I know - my only concern is that if your account is frozen it takes time to unfreeze it and then you could be really jammed up.

I guess there's no easy solution.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Take this to the bank and court; you must prove that the funds are from SSi

For your information about Social Security Benefits

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT
    pepsichallenge Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 10:14 AM

I have SSI, I also have a judgement. But I use a prepaid visa account online to have my check direct deposited. Works great, minor fees though. Let's me use ATM, credit transactions etc. a plus. It's not a bank account, it's a prepaid visa account. Doesn't show up in chex systems.
    coverunner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 09:00 AM
    Thank you, Mr. Yet! I was going to find the exact law. I'm not a lawyer, but I defend my rights.
    42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

I'm in a counter debt lawsuit and a Stroke/Social Security claim... even after the judgment is possible to turn that the table. Also, it is possible to sue for the Sheriff, the Court and other parties including your bank. No officer in government is immune. Social Security is a Federal situation serious offence.

I'll be letting the Sheriff and the lower court after 10 days of notice. Then, I'll sue the same lower court and go to Federal Court.

In Federal Crop Insurance v. Merrill. "Whatever the form in which the government functions, anyone entering into an arrangement with the government takes a risk of having accurately ascertained that he who purports to act for the government stays within the bounds of his authority, even though the agent himself may be unaware of the limitations upon authority"

They made an oath to defend the laws and must to know the laws. If they make a "mistake" becomes a money and prison problem for the parties... especially when this in a Federal Case. You paid into Social Security all your life. Here's when Uncle Sam has your back.
    BigD195 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
    I have a civil judgment against me from a Tennessee court. I reside in the state of Florida, and have continuously since 2008. Can a plaintiff or Tennessee court garnish my social security disability benefits?
    Uber Member

May 4, 2012, 02:12 PM
    SS Disability cannot legally be garnished by a creditor except if it's for child support, student loans, a few minor exceptions. And, yes, a Judgment can be transferred - awarded in one State, collected in another.

If your SS is co-mingled with other funds it can be seized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social Security benefit [ 1 Answers ]

If you have resided in the U.S. and was considered a U.S. citizen. Worked there for let's say 10 to 15 years and have been deported? What happens to your social security you have been garnished? Can you get that back from them and how?

Can social security benefit be garnished for alimony [ 1 Answers ]

In palm beach county, Florida can alimony or child support be garnished from Social security retirement income benefits and if so is there a limit to the percentage ?

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search