Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwittman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Toilet doesn't always flush and sometimes there is a sewer smell
    Two year old condo we have downstairs unit on slab. Recently just flushing clear water will sometimes take two flushes. Water always goes down but sometime there is no strong push on first try. Periodically we get a sewer smell. The toilet sits tight (no rocking). I've tried bleach as well as using bleach in sink and tub. I've even poured down hot water from a bucket (that always works). The sink & tub do not appear to have a problem. All other sinks and bathrooms work fine.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Sometimes the wax ring gets flattened out and even though it won't leak because the horn in far enough down, when the wind blows, it will leak air out under the toilet bottom. As a test, caulk the floor joint. If the smell goes away, replace the wax ring. I do not permanently caulk the botton in case the toilet leaks since you might not see it and water will saturate the floor.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2010, 04:52 PM

I agree, replace the wax ring, I'd skip the caulk and go right to about the only option, bad ring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Sewer with horriable smell of gas fumes and sour smell ,toilet smell.unit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a low rental, had complained since I have moved in on, June,26/2010... have called city of winnipeg was told private property. Called the water waste line.. they did nothing and the smell is still in the unit. The development, was build in 2007.. the air vents where the heat comes from,...

When we flush the toilet water spews out and sewer gases come in [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush our toilets the toilet spews water everywhere and sewer gases are emitted into the air. This only seems to happen when we have a lot of rain or snow melting and during the spring thaw. Does this mean our septic field is not draining, since we just had our septic pumped a while back?...

Sewer smell from toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new house which I built a year ago and my ensuite toilet has recently started to smell really bad. The sewer smell seems to be coming from the toilet tank and I have tried running water in the jacuzzi and then flushing the toilet but nothing seems to work. I have called my plumber and he...

The smell of gas any time I flush my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I have noticed that any time I flush my toilet on the first floor of my home I get the smell of gas that I believe to be sewer gas. I do not get it in the main bathroom on the second floor of my 2 story colonial. Should I contact the city or are there steps I can take to fix the problem?...

View more questions Search