Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoot01 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel
    What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2007, 11:24 AM
    A Main Breaker Panel (MCB) has a Main breaker built into it. A MCB panel is used when there is only a meter just outside, and this feeder cable or conduit does not exceed 10 feet from meter to panel.

A Main Lug Only (MLO) panel only has main lugs, and is intended to be fed by a Main breaker upstream. For example there can be Main breaker at the outdoor meter, or a MLO panel can be used as a sub panel ,fed by a breaker in the Main panel.
    dozerdog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot01
    What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.
    In a main breaker, the line wires coming from the meter can are connected to a main breaker to disconnect the power to all the other breakers in it. A main lug panel has the line wires going to lugs in the panel and no common breaker to disconnect the power to the individual breakers. In a main lug panel you need to use a separate Disconnect.

Jan 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Thanks to both of you for the info.

Jan 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Just one more question on this. Do some electricians install both? We are showing a 200 amp breaker in the house and a 200 amp disconnect at the meter.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Sometimes they do, only one is required, but having two is not a problem. Who ever installed two just spent more money than necessary.
    Electridan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
    In some cases the Authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) or inspector may require both
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 19, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot01 View Post
    Just one more question on this. Do some electricians install both? We are showing a 200 amp breaker in the house and a 200 amp disconnect at the meter.
    Howdy Hoot01.
    As I understand it, it can be a tremendous advantage to the local fire co. if they have to respond to a call.

Instead of having to enter a burning building to kill the power, all they have to do is throw the disconnect at the outside meter.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Question is almost 3 years old.

Please refrain from answering questions older than a few months.

Question is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Subpanel or main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I want to put a subpanel in my shop, and was wondering if a main service panel that they sell at say Home Depot is the same thing as a subpanel? I have a 200 amp service to my house, and want to put a 100 amp subpanel in my shop. Does the term "subpanel" just mean that it is wired off the...

Main Service Panel needs [ 9 Answers ]

I ran across this site accidentally today and found someone who had many of the same issues I need help with. Most of my questions were answered reading the forum however I have one more, using the following information I am hoping someone can help. The existing house is apx. 2300 sq ft w/a 200...

Garage main lug only height [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if there is a minimum or maximum height for the main lug only box when surface mounted on a wall in a detached garage? I am running 40amps, 240V service underground to the garage. THanks in advance. Regards, Steve

Sub Panel with a main in Position 2,4, 6 [ 2 Answers ]

My question concerns panel boards where the main breaker takes up two or three positions on the panel board. If I use a main in position 2,4,6 the corresponding positions 1,3,5 have to be left blank according to code.

How do I relocate a main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to move my main service panel about 20 feet. All of the branch feeder wires need to be longer to reach the new box. How do I extend them?

View more questions Search