Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshalj47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
    How to install an on/off switch to electrical outlet without going through wall?
    This is an older house with no overhead light in the livingroom. It is required that there be an on/off switch by the front door that controls an outlet where a lamp can be plugged in. There is an existing on/off switch by the door for the porch light and an electrical outlet close to it. It will be nearly impossible to thread wires from the basement up because these are plaster walls, not drywall. What can I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 09:04 AM

There are wireless remote controls that would fit the bill. They control anything that will plug into it. You just have to deal with battery replacements
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 02:13 PM

Unless you have conduit Smoothy hasthe best answer. I recently installed a wireless remote for my work shop, works great until I reach the main panel for the rest of the lights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the electrical outlet box need to be flush with finished wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the electrical outlet box need to be flush with finished wall?

Ceiling light using existing wall switch that currently controls a wall outlet plug? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bedroom wall outlet plug that is currently switched on/off by an existing wall swtich. I want to set up that switch to turn a new ceiling light on/off and leave the wall plug controlled also by the wall switch. Is this possible and safe to have the existing wall switch control both the...

How to install a new TV jack outlet on the opposite wall [ 5 Answers ]

How to install a new TV outlet on the opposite wall? Somebody knows, I am sure

Wall switch controlling a outlet,want to use outlet to control ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a wall swich that currently controls a baseboard outlet. The Wall switch has a white,black, ground coming in from the top of the box-- and a white,black,red,ground coming in from the bottom of the box. The two blacks are tied together/two whites tied together... the red goes to the switch...

Electrical outlet controlled by a switch issues [ 11 Answers ]

Hello! I've a pair of outlets in the kitchen where the top one is always hot and the bottom one is controlled by a switch. The switch stopped working and the bottom is always dead. Suspecting the outlet (and not the switch) was bad I replaced the outlet with a new one and connected everything as...

View more questions Search