Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynnsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 06:57 AM
    What to do if you can't show up to state court?
    I was in a car accident and my lawyer decided to take the case to state court. It has been years since this occurred and I have moved out of state, never hearing from my lawyer till now. Problem is I do not have the funds to go to the state the court is in and don't think the lawyers are trying hard enough to get me there. What can I do, I can't walk I feel like me hands are tied?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsh View Post
    I feel like me hands are tied?
    Hello l:

What do you do if you can't show up in court? You LOSE. And you get a big fat bill from your lawyer... I wish I had better news for you.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 01:45 PM
    I was in a car accident and my lawyer decided to take the case to state court. It has been years since this occured and I have moved out of state, never hearing from my lawyer till now. Problem is I do not have the funds to go to the state the court is in and dont think the lawyers are trying hard enough to get me there. What can I do, I can't walk I feel like me hands are tied?
    There are a few questions:

What was your lawyer doing all this time? You forgot about it when you moved, or what?

Is trial scheduled, or what is the specific need for your physical presence? Normally your deposition could be taken and used in place of your physical presence at trial. What state is it?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
    I was in a car accident and my lawyer decided to take the case to state court. It has been years since this occured and I have moved out of state, never hearing from my lawyer till now. Problem is I do not have the funds to go to the state the court is in and dont think the lawyers are trying hard enough to get me there. What can I do, I can't walk I feel like me hands are tied?
    We need a lot more info before we can attempt to give you a valid answer.

Are you the plaintiff or the defendant? What do you mean, "my lawyer decided to take the case to state court" - is your lawyer suing YOU for money, or is your lawyer trying to win money for you?

Where did the accident occur? Where do you live now? How long ago did you move?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get arrested if I don't show up to court if I'm getting sued in divorce court? [ 17 Answers ]

Can I get arrested if I do not show up to court if I'm being sued in a divorce procedure?

What if he does not show up in court [ 2 Answers ]

When I call the child support agency to check stats on case they never have anything new on him (I don't understand that) .From hearsay he have a background called the criminal clerks office found three cases pending with court date , I gave that to the agency, but what if he does not show up for...

No show to court. [ 2 Answers ]

If I don't go to court in wisconsin(siren to be exact) I live in the twin cities in Minnesota, will they extradite for a warrant? The charge is misdemeanor 3rd dui.

If I don't show up in court, can I appeal? [ 4 Answers ]

If I don’t show up will the plaintiff win by default and if so can I appeal, if so what are the steps?

Failure to show up for court [ 3 Answers ]

I understand that if you fail to show up for a court appearance that they issue a warrant for your arrest.Let's say the person decides to turn themselves in a year or sevaral years later... does this person face any additional consequences. Scenario: I was suppose to show up for court for...

View more questions Search