Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newfamily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Mother In-law is always asking for money
    My soon to be mother In-law is always asking for money, about $50 a week. The money is either for her or her oldest daughter. I don't mind helping out but she has not done anything to improve her financial situation and I feel she is taking advantage of us. The only time she calls is for money, I want to help out but I don't want to enable her. She has not had a job since I have met her and seems to really need to the money. How can we address the issue with her?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfamily View Post
    My soon to be mother In-law is always asking for money, about $50 a week. The money is either for her or her oldest daughter. I don't mind helping out but she has not done anything to improve her financial situation and I feel she is taking advantage of us. The only time she calls is for money, I want to help out but I don't want to enable her. She has not had a job since I have met her and seems to really need to the money. How can we address the issue with her?
    First of all, this isn't really a law question. I've asked that it be moved to the appropriate forum.

Second, is your mother-in-law struggling financially or is she just mooching off you? If she wasn't borrowing $200 from you a month, would she be in trouble or is she just spending it on junk?

If she actually needs the money, then I'd say help her out. If she's just running up bills with no intention of paying them or paying you back, I'd say cut her off. Of course, discuss this with your wife first and make sure you can both stick to the plan.
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 09:26 AM

How old is the older daughter? Is she unable to work for any reason?
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 03:07 PM

Does she pay back any of the money?

If she's unable to work and in true dire straits, then I'd continue helping her out, but if she's healthy and able to work or is simply blowing the money, then I'd cut her off.

Why not just tell her that you don't have the extra money to spare?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2010, 03:06 PM

First your spouse should be the one to deal with this- as an in-law you are at a distinct disadvantage here.

Then I'd suggest that your spouse sit down with her and go through all her income and bills as well as his sister's expenses, with both of them, and figure out a budget. If they aren't willing to open up to him about it, he can just say, "well, I can't keep spending money and not knowing where it's going, so unfortunately the answer is going to be "no" to the request for more money. I want to help you but need to know why you always need money from me and whether something can be figured out." As for the sister, she needs a job, period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

Father in law will not leave mother in law alone after passing [ 4 Answers ]

Please help my father in law passed in November after being married to my mother in law for 57 years. For a couple of months she didn't feel his presence, now she says he will not go away and is trying to sexually molest her. She is becoming increasingly agitated about it. What can we do?

View more questions Search