Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theogpuna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 09:42 AM
    Toilet making hissing sound!
    Hi.

My toilet keeps making a hissing sound. I tested the flapper with red wine and within 5 minutes I had red wine leaking in the bowl,so I replaced the flapper. But my toilet still makes the hissing sound, I have tried playing with the water level in the tank and it does not help. When I lift the ball, the sound stops, however it will start back up in a few minutes. Also, when I flush the toilet there is water coming from the top of the ball cock assembly. By the way, the ball cock assembly was replaced a few months ago, but I am not sure if he replaced the entire unit, some of the tubing looks old. Or perhaps the new flapper is not provding a tight enough seal, any suggestions.

Thanks.
    Martina
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 03:11 PM

Which version do you have https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attach...-ballcocks.jpg I think you may have more than one issue. The flapper was replaced but it still leaks so time to check the rim it sets up againist. Check the rim for nicks or build ups. Water out the top of the ball cock is not good, sounds like tour new replacement needs a replacement
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2010, 03:47 PM
    For $10 you can get a new floating type fill valve and have all new tubing too. Takes 10 minutes to install. If no more red wine, your flapper is OK. If you still get wine in the bowl-what a waste of wine-either the wrong flapper is being used or the seat needs replacement. Still an easy DIY job.
    theogpuna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 12:21 AM
    Thanks for the information. I have the version on the right. It sounds like I will start by replacing the float valve tomorrow evening and then see if the flapper is in fact leaking. Hopefully, it will only take me 10 minutes, but I thinknitvwill take me longer than that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2010, 04:21 AM

To test for a leaky flapper, first run your finger under the flat side. If it's wavy or has rough edges replace it. Another test would be to put food coloring in the tank before you go to bed. Next morning if you have color in the bowl you have a bad flapper. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix toilet that has hissing sound and is slow to refill? [ 16 Answers ]

Yesterday, my toilet simultaneously started making a hissing sound and refilling very slowly. I have no experience with plumbing or fixing toilets, so please give as detailed a response as possible. If you can direct me to a link with photos on how to fix it, that would be great. I just want to try...

Hissing sound from Toilet tank. [ 9 Answers ]

I've got a constant hissing sound coming from the left side of the tank. Similar to air being pushed/sucked. At one point, too much water was in the tank and a small trickle was noticed too. But that has since stopped after I took the cover off and flushed a few times. Taking the cover off, this...

Need Help: My AC starts cooling fine but then stops. Making *hissing* sound when on.. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a few problems with my AC. About 1 day ago my AC stopped working. It turns on perfectly and blows air (alittle). After noticing that it wasn't working currently I turned it off and realized that the Filter was a little wet and the water pan? On the bottom of the unit had a little...

Toilet keeps making a flushiing sound [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet downstairs keeps making a flushiing sound when I am not using it. If I turn the water off - fear of some leak behind the wall - I can hear the flushing sound on the 2nd floor. Do I need to call a plumber?

How to fix my toilet from making a hissing noise [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet makes a hissing noise all the time. It's making my water bill sky high. What can I do to fix it?

View more questions Search