Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    X51331 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 07:30 AM
    EtG test 2
    Can a EtG test tell if it's not my urine? Can they tell if it's synthetic urine
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2010, 08:39 AM

The answer is a little more complicated than it may seem. At the point of collection urine should be checked for temperature and coloration. Sometimes the collection cup can detect a range of temperature, or a thermometer can be utilized. Many times it is simply experience of the technician. Temperature is only a factor within minutes of production.

Once the sample is obtained it could be tested by immunoassay (IA) a dip-stick type test conducted at point of collection. This system uses an embedded antibody that responds, in this case, to ethylglucuronide (EtG). If the IA returns a positive then the sample is forwarded for more extensive confirmatory testing. If the result is negative by IA the test could and usually does end there. IA testing is generally not sensitive to elements of urine content beyond the antibody and, sometime, creatinine. IAs have a high error rate.

However, the second part of the test for initially positive IA samples is conducted by highly efficient instruments at a laboratory, Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS). This system analyzes the most minute particles of sample content. It can measure known variances of human urine: creatinine and specific gravity in particular. In broad terms this assesses the density of urine and is used to determine if the sample has been diluted or alien. But the instrument can also detect virtually any type of molecule. So if synthetic urine contains one or more molecucles that distinguishes it from natural urine that can be picked up in the test. (Depending on the test, IAs, can detect creatinine).

The answer to your question is Yes, they can. Whether most do is another question. Much is dependent on the quality of the IA (the initial test), the settings of the GC/MS and the level of competence of testing personnel throughout the process.

Urine substitution and use of synthetics is not uncommon and testing agencies are well aware of that. But the testing field has expanded so rapidly that the quality of products and services has suffered immensely. Laboratories and systems range from incompetent to highly proficient.

You must also be concerned about the quality of synthetic urine. Dependent on the manufacturer it could be easily detectable by GC/MS. That field has expanded at a rate equal to the testing field. I'm sure product quality varies to the same extent as testing, although I have no direct experience in evaluating the products used to compromise the tests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can non-alcoholic beer make you test positive on an ETG test? [ 3 Answers ]

I had 1 non-alcoholic beer 96 hours before and 1 non-alcoholic beer 72 hours before an ETG alcohol test. I weigh 122lbs and am 5 ft 3 in good health. I was applying for a new job and wasn't aware that you had to pass an ETG test. I know there isn't much alcohol in these but heard it can be...

ETG test [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't drank in 6 months and had 4 shots at 5pm Friday. I have a ETG test at 10pm Sunday night. I'm 30 yrs old 6'2 and 200 lbs. is there any hope at passing.

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

EtG test [ 1 Answers ]

How can I pass an EtG test that detects ethynal metabolites?

View more questions Search