Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chihuahua79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 06:11 AM
    My 8 month chihuahua mated with my 10 month old chihuahua could she get pregnant?
    She was on day 13 of her heat and they tied for 15-20 minutes. He is 10 months old and she is 8 months old. This was 3 weeks ago now and her nipples have been swollen at the base for almost 2 weeks now. Her tummy doesn't feel much different. Can a 10 month old dog produce quality sperm to produce pups? I was intending to breed them in a year time, but he got to her and it was so quick, by time I got to them he had locked to her. They are pedigree dogs and have had all the tests and registered etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 06:36 AM

Yes, a 10 month old dog can certainly produce sperm, I have heard of 4 month old 'puppies' siring litters.

I would highly recommend terminating the pregnancy. Chihuahuas have a high rate needing C-sections as it is, the statistics would be even higher for such a young dog.
    There is an injection available but is only viable up to 48 hours after the mating.
    Did you plan on getting her spayed in the future? Now would be the perfect time to do so if you were going to anyway.

Nov 13, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Hi thanks for the reply. I was not planning on getting her spayed, as I got the dogs as a breeding pair. My intention was to breed her on her 3rd season not her 1st. I was just unsure if my dog was able to produce pups yet.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 06:58 AM

I would have to question having such young puppies is a 'breeding pair'.
    It is impossible to tell at this age if they will be breeding quality or not, most dogs don't fully mature until 2 years of age so the conformation of the dog (physical qualities) can't be guaranteed until that age.

It's great that they pass their health tests, patellas are a big problem in toy breeds and sadly, a lot of people don't get them checked.

If you are going ahead with the litter just make sure you go for regular check ups with your vet and make sure they will be available at any hour in case of emergency when the time comes.
    Your vet should be able to confirm the pregnancy by palpating, or if you don't mind the extra cost but more accuracy, get an ultra sound done in a few more weeks time.

Nov 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    I am hoping that she is not pregnant, but I will take her to be palpated by the vet this week to be sure. They are both from good pedigree with many champions, and have already got awards at puppy classes etc so should be of excellent quality by 2 yr
    Dperez123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
    My chihuahua is in heat also.. if she gets pregnant.. will she die? Hopefully not because I love my puppy so very much! Please respond

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mating a 9 month old chihuahua [ 24 Answers ]

My love and I are proud owners of two chihuahua's. One of them is a full bred teacup long haired chihuahua & the other is a long haired chihuahua mix with papion. The mixed is at the moment 3 months and growing up strong healthy, even possibly going to be bigger than him (which we are rooting for)....

8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore....

Sick 3 month old chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua barely 2 pounds. He is up to date on his shots and dewormings. However Last Tuesday he had his latest shot and on Thurday had a deworming treatment and has not been right since. He started Vomiting on Friday. Stopped on Saturday and was eating and drinking and acting...

Spaying a 9 month old chihuahua? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 pound chihuahua that was born on October 19th, 2007. She is about 9 months old. We didn't know if spaying her would be a good thing since she is so small. We think she is in heat for the first time. Her genitals are swollen and she is licking a lot. Is 9months normal age for a...

Sick 3 month old teacup chihuahua [ 2 Answers ]

I brought my 3 month old (1.8 pound) chihuahua home 1 week ago from a local pet store. The second day I had him I realized that he was coughing and probably had kennel cough. I took him to the vet immediately and he put him on Zithromax, bene-bac gel, and some pain meds, gave him a shot and said...

View more questions Search