Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MP-Squared Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2010, 01:43 PM
    Run-on pressure assist toilet
    Our 18 year old Kohler 81100 pressure-clean Flushometer toilet sounds like water is constantly running very slowly, but it's not going into the bowl. It stops only when I shut off the water supply valve. Where is the water running? Can it be going down the drain without entering the bowl? Does the pressure tank need to be replaced?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2010, 01:47 PM

How do you know its NOT going into the bowl? It takes a pretty good flow to even see a disturbance in the water.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 02:17 PM

Hi MP^2

Get up real close to the toilet bowl with a flashlight and see if you can see any water TRICKLING down the sides of the interior bowl... if so, the seals of the pressurized tank are gone and will need to be replaced.

If no water is running down the interior bowl walls then most likley you are hearing the hissing sound associated with the pressurized tank not shutting off completely. In other words, the tank isn't getting filled 100% because the unit is 18 years old and the unit isn't sealing properly... ;)

Here again, the only fix would be to find a replacement seals kit from a Kohler distributer at a local plumbing supply company. With an 18 year old toilet I have to wonder if you're better off getting a whole new toilet here, but chat with a local kohler guy as they will know their product best!

Good luck...

Mark

Nov 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks Mark. Looked closely and checked with dry tissue. No water into bowl. "Hissing" sound could explain it but I would expect pressurized tank to fill after a day or two. Toilet is not used much. At least I'm not wasting water. -- Marc
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 05:00 PM

If you call the kohler representative or kohler company they should be able to tell you more. If you do, please post any info. That helped... would appreciate it!

Thanks...

Mark

Nov 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Will do.
    Thanks,

Marc

Dec 28, 2010, 07:34 AM
    To massplumber2008:

Mark, sorry for the delay but it has been hectic. I called Kohler and explained the situation to the rep. She really didn't have an answer but said the manufacturer of the pressure tank went out of business and that the tank is no longer available. She also said that there were reports of this pressure tank exploding! I went online and was surprised to learn how true this was. Kohler offered to send a replacement toilet, just like the one I have, but not pressure-assist, for $200. I took them up on it and, for peace of mind, replaced the toilet. Appreciate your help.

--Marc
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. That's info that will help others.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:57 AM

YUP! Thanks for the info. We appreciate the follow up post!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water trickling inside Kohler pressure assist toilet. [ 2 Answers ]

My Kohler model 811000 (Pressure Clean) Flushometer toilet sounds like water is trickling somewhere but I can't see it. It does not appear to be going into the bowl and there's nothing in the china tank or on the floor. Can it be leaking down the drain without entering the bowl? How do I stop it?

Pressure Assist Toilet running water internally [ 6 Answers ]

My pressure assist toilet has what feels like a small hole in the pressure assist mechanism. I can reach down on the front inside and feel the water escaping. It sounds like water running out of a faucet. It does not leak externally. Can this be fixed or do I have to replace the unit? ...

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Leak from bottom of pressure-assist toilet tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a one piece Kohler pressure-assist toilet that is about 14 years old. Recently it started to leak from the bottom of the porcelain tank. It appears to be dripping from a metal bolt in that area. I imagine the pressurized tank or a fitting is leaking but I can't see that area when I remove...

Pressure Assist Toilet Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a tri-level home with one bathroom in upper level and one in the lower level, each with pressure assist toilets. The bathroom in the lower level, when flushed, doesn't fully empty the bowl. When the toilet in the upper level is flushed, it pushes air out of the lower toilet and into the...

View more questions Search