Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 06:40 PM
    Why is my dog so quiet?
    I just got a dog from a shelter and I think he is death. He hasn't barked at all. He never looks when something is dropped. He doesn't come when we call. What should I do? Then we put a towel on him and he stood there. I think somthings wrong. What should I do? :/
    SKAtanic4Life Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Seeing as you just got him from a shelter, he is probably very scared. He is in a new environment and who knows what kind of environment he was in before the shelter. You have to just be very gentle with him and very loving and show him that you care. Try not to stand above him when you pet him but rather get down low to his level so he does not feel intimidated.

My dog, 7 now, was having some symptoms like this about 5 months ago. She wouldn't come when we called her, didn't eat her food (very unlike her! Haha) and she would just sleep and look very depressed. She ended up having a urinary tract infection and a heart murmur but we got medicine for her and she is just fine now! :)

I don't think this is what is wrong with your dog, I'm just sharing multiple ideas with you. Honestly I think your dog just needs lots of love to make him feel at home. Just imagine if you were him. In a new place, scared, and you don't know the people that are around you all the time. That is quite scary for him I am sure especially not knowing his previous environment which could be a sad and terrifying one.

Give him lots of love! He will come around! =]

If a few weeks go by and there is no change, maybe just take him for a check-up. But I'm sure that won't be necessary. =]

-Lili
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 7, 2010, 09:10 PM
    I agree about giving tons of love and holding and brushing and playing and walks. Dogs like routine, so a walk, play, feed, and sleep routine will be good. Don't try to test his hearing over and over; if you are on a walk and there is a really loud noise you may be able to tell then.
    A dog who had been chained day in and day out with no social contact may act like that. He may learn to love back, he may not, but he'll appreciate it all anyway. Thanks for adopting him!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 12:01 AM

What breed is the dog? Some breeds are more prone to deafness, Dalmatians for example.

As the others have said, this is a new environment, so do give it some time before you jump to the worst conclusions (although deafness isn't as bad as you may think, there are still ways to train a deaf dog).

Have you gone for a vet check? That would be my next step.

Please keep us posted. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Right of quiet enjoyment [ 5 Answers ]

What are the tenant/landlord rights in relation to "right to quiet enjoyment" laws?

Its too quiet [ 5 Answers ]

So I just got this new boyfriend last Saturday, and I really like himm, but when were together he doesn't say anything I try to start a conversation all the time but it doesn't last... how do I get himm too talk

What is a quiet title? [ 1 Answers ]

I was searching my father in laws name online trying to find contact information for him.(My husband and him haven't spoken in about 16 yrs) and I found a court case on Missouri's online court records website. The heading is listed - HH LLC V TIMOTHY XXXXX ET AL. Under "case type" it states...

A quiet boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for two years now, but he doesn't want to go anywhere public. He says he doesn't want to show his kids that he is dating anyone because their mother did that, his exwife, and it hurt them badly. I have gone along with it because I didn't really want to be in a serious...

My dog is too quiet [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: we have a miniature dachshund that is 1 year old. He is usually very active but just recently he was said to have fleas. Now he is unusually quite and just not himself. He sleeps a lot and is not as active as usual(doesnt want to go for walks, play(etc.) We took him to the vet and took...

View more questions Search