Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcallahan7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Heat Pump won't turn off
    I have a Goodman heat pump that's 5 years old (the original heat pump installed when the home was built). Today I turned the heat up from 65 to 70, the heat pump started running (it should have since it was less than 70 degrees in the house). Problem is, it got up to 75 degrees before I noticed it was getting hot in the house. I turned the heat back down to 60 and waited for it to turn off. 10 minutes later, it was still running. I turned the system to "Off" and waited for it to shut off. Still didn't stop running and it was now almost 80 in the house. To get it Off, I resorted to turning the electricity off at the breaker box. I waited hours before shutting the power back on. The system was still set to Off, the fan on auto and the temp set to 60 (still 70+ degrees in the house). As soon as I turned the power back on, it started running immediately.

This thing is possessed! What's wrong with it ? I'm hoping I just need a new thermostat but am afraid it's something more expensive.

HELP!
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Its just a stab in the dark with info you gave us but it sounds like your heat sequencer is stuck closed(runs your aux heating elements). Will the out side heat pump shut off when you turn your thermostat off? If so you have a stuck sequencer or heat relay.
    dcallahan7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 07:51 AM
    T-Top... no the unit outside won't shut off either. The entire system continues to run and only way to turn it off is flip the electricity off (in the electric breaker box).
    ldog78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 08:10 AM
    dcallahan7
    I just changed my thermostat and the Heat pump is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what was doing this and is it easy to fix?
    pda7258 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 05:52 PM
    I have the same problem--Comfortmaker. After hearing the problem and troubleshooting that had already been done, an HVAC guy told my friend that he's pretty sure there's a problem in the circuit board.
    pinky2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 10:29 AM
    I have a ruud heatpump, and it NEVER stops running. The air is only warm 1/4 of the time then cold air the rest. Even when the thermostat reaches the desired temp, it continues to run...
    pinky2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Comment on pinky2's post
    ... the hvac guy has been here 5 times... hes put 4 compressors in, still no solution, so if they try that one with you, be weary!
    msurrett1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 03:24 PM
    My heat pump keeps running inside and outside until I turn the thermostat to OFF.
    It will not shut off on AUTO. What is the problem. Thanks
    bossman1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
    U may have a stuck contactor,its kind of like a switch that's located on the out door unit... do an internet search of a contactor to see what it looks like,if that button is still pull in even when the themostat is off,I would just replace the contactor
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2013, 03:41 PM
    Bossman1970,
    I certainly hope the problem is fixed by now. This thread is almost a year old since the last post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Ductless A/C with Heat Pump - Heat pump does not come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The A/C works great but in the morning when its cool outside and I switch on the Heat the indoor unit makes a clicking sound and the fan stays off - after about 8 minutes I switch to A/C I get a rush of ice cold air along with some mist. Seems like when I switch to heat the indoor unit...

A/C furnace running, but heat pump fan does not turn [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Lenox Elite 13 heat pump; the furnace inside the house is running. But I notice that the heat pump fan does not turn. When I go to inspect the H/pump, I hear a noice coming from the h/pump, like there is power. Someone told me that it could be my run capacitor? I removed the Run...

Heat pump stuck in heat mode [ 4 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that seems to be stuck in heat mode. When you try to turn the a/c on it runs heat. I got the a/c to run by cycling the power a couple of times but after having to use the heat again, it is stuck again. Could this be an electrical problem or is it probably the reversing valve?

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search